Aquarists at USF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum for the Aquarist Club at USF - A Community for Fishy People <')))){

PortalPortal  HomeHome  About UsAbout Us  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Register  Log in  

Brown algae not green?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

Brown algae not green? Empty
PostSubject: Brown algae not green?   Brown algae not green? EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 10:22 pm

I am currently having a slight growing issue in my tank. Instead of a green algae as i'm used to seeing in my tank there is a brown colored algae growing on a rock in the middle and my sternella and queen pleco wont go near it. Any ideas why?

Brown algae not green? 06041111

Brown algae not green? 06041112

Brown algae not green? 06041113

Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Brown algae not green?   Brown algae not green? EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 11:11 pm

It looks to me like diatoms, but the pics are kind of blurry. If the algae is "dust-like", it's probably diatoms; however, if its stringy then you have some other sort of algae issue on your hands. Diatoms are common in a new aquarium, and are nothing to worry about. I don't know why the plecos won't go near them (but I'm not a pleco expert by any means). With a few water changes the diatoms will go away on their own. Just make sure that you keep up with your WCs and just be patient. no evil
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: Brown algae not green?   Brown algae not green? EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 2:12 am

Ok thank you for your input. I will do further research if it continues to grow and Ill be sure to take care of those WCs gun
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Brown algae not green?   Brown algae not green? EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 9:27 am

No problem. Does it look like dust/powder?
Back to top Go down
Gimplar

Gimplar

PostSubject: Re: Brown algae not green?   Brown algae not green? EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 7:23 pm

yup, just some algae that you commonly see from new cycling tanks.
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: Brown algae not green?   Brown algae not green? EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 9:04 pm

Yeah my plecos took care of it, just took them a bit to get hungry for it toilet
Back to top Go down
Iceelover

Iceelover

PostSubject: Re: Brown algae not green?   Brown algae not green? EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 8:32 pm

So I didnt want to start a new thread because I've got a diatom question. Aside from water chemistry and light, what promotes diatom algae to grow?

There's this one spot, about 4 inches in diameter at max, that's always a brown/orange. It's a bit oranger than I've seen any other diatoms in my tank, and I thought it might be a peice of metal or something rusting in the substrate. I've dug through it a few times to no avail. I chalked it up to diatoms and went on my way.

Now a few weeks later, while cleaning my tank, I realize that I always only clean diatoms off the right side of my tank. And it's always only in the corner that the spot is in.

My chems are fine and that corner isn't even where the food falls during feeding time. The current drags food to the left. I counted out light as well, since my light fixture runs all the way across my tank, not side specific. Also, the spot that turns brown/orange isn't fully exposed to the light since there's some limb from decor hovering over it.

Any ideas??
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Brown algae not green?   Brown algae not green? EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 9:42 pm

Hmmm...maybe it's a dead spot in your tank? Try redirecting your flow or adding another powerhead. I used to have the same thing happen (except that it was a patch of red slime) until I added another Koralia.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brown algae not green?   Brown algae not green? Empty

Back to top Go down

Brown algae not green?
Page 1 of 1