Aquarists at USF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum for the Aquarist Club at USF - A Community for Fishy People <')))){

PortalPortal  HomeHome  About UsAbout Us  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Register  Log in  

how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
loganjonathan

loganjonathan

how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank Empty
PostSubject: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 8:36 am

after a long discussion on a different thread we decided this would be a better way to classify our conversation and how tos and donts
Back to top Go down
loganjonathan

loganjonathan

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 8:58 am

so whats the difference between a all shrimp tank and a couple of fish and couple of shrimp whats the difference and what the care level like for both tanks and which one is easier the all shrimp or the combination
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 8:59 am

So ok I was. Looking at the filter you were talking about. I think that filter would be fine, however you have to make sure you get some kind of ss mesh inlet cover or custom make a sponge cover if you're looking at making your own army of shrimp Smile

The baby shrimp are quite small and can easily find their way into the inner workings of your filter where it means almost certain doom

Wa temperature are you able to maintain ?
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 9:01 am

All shrimp tanks promotes shrimp breeding. The shrimp are much less poop factories than fish are so its easier to maintain your levels.

If you don't care about raising a brood then you can it a few fish in there but they HAVE TO BE community fish. I currently have a albino bristle nose in with each of my shrimp tanks but no other fish. Fish live small little brine shrimp, its not that much of a jump to say a baby ghost shrimp.
Back to top Go down
loganjonathan

loganjonathan

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 9:06 am

how much are albino bristlenoses
Back to top Go down
loganjonathan

loganjonathan

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 9:07 am

mine right now is 76 degrees like i said it was fish then they died now i need a overhaul
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 9:19 am

Albino Bristlenoses can be had typically between 6 and 10 depending on where you go. I like to keep at least one in the tank, but they seem to do better in a pair (check out the video on my 55 gallon thread towards the last page)

AS for your temp you're right in the middle of the range, however again it depends on the type of shrimp you want. Some prefer 68-74 while others like it 68-78

Are you completely gutting and restarting the tank or do you currently have stuff in there ? (plants, substrate, etc...)

Oh yes substrate what color are you planning on using ?
Back to top Go down
loganjonathan

loganjonathan

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 9:29 am

ive got blue substrate and ive got some fake plants in there and thats its mostly its bare
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 9:39 am

Shrimp do much better with live plants. Also to get the dark vibrant colors you want a really dark substrate if you're going to go planted I can tell you that fr a ten gallon hit up petco (I know) they had plant substrate on clearance and it was pitch black a few weeks ago.
Back to top Go down
loganjonathan

loganjonathan

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 9:43 am

ok ill check in and see what they got and post a thread about this tank cause im going all out on this one just like my reef tank
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 11:10 am

Do you have a co2 setup ?
Back to top Go down
loganjonathan

loganjonathan

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 11:32 am

negative
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 11:53 am

If you're going planted you'll prob want some type of CO2 setup, it's good for the plants and keeps the algae from going bat crazy. My big tank is co2 injected.

If you're going to be going with a ten gallon tank you can most likely get away with a paintball co2 setup (~100 or so to get including the paintball cyl.) you can always go with a bigger tank, but on a 10 gallon a 20 oz paintball should be able to get you a few months for ~3-6 dollars a refill, I would keep two cyl. though one for use, and one thats full for if that runs out

There's ways you can do the lighting on the cheap as well. Right now I'm growing mosses under a "lo tech" situation using clip on desk lamps and daylight CFL bulbs, although I would have a lot more growth with a good light and co2....ahhh but that's a whole other thread and set of plans LOL
Back to top Go down
loganjonathan

loganjonathan

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 12:16 pm

well ive got a desk lamp that i can use but co2 thats a whole different story is the co2 neccesary or is it just a suggestion
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 12:30 pm

If you're going planted and anything outside of low light you'll want co2. I don't even check my regulator really anymore, if I start seeing algae I know it's time to refill LOL
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 12:32 pm

There are of course things like excel, co2 booster and etc that you can use to add carbon to the tank, I use those however in treatments for algae covered items and they can in the double/triple dose to get rid of algae hurt your plants and will actually make some melt....
Back to top Go down
loganjonathan

loganjonathan

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 12:42 pm

ohh well i dont have a algae problem at all i have picos in there and they take care of it
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 12:45 pm

Once you go planted you're going to need more light CO2 will help the plants out compete the algae by supplying them with much needed carbon (which algae can't utilize) Unless of course you take on keeping the system in perfect balance all the time....

how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank Consid10
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 12:47 pm

BTW this is awesome you're picking my brain prior to a multi tank build and it's helping me figure out how I want things to run LOL
Back to top Go down
loganjonathan

loganjonathan

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 12:54 pm

i think my picos can handle the algae and my levels have always been perfect before the fish died so now im cycling
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 1:02 pm

There are cheap DIY options too as long as you don't mind babysitting the setup....all it requires is some airline tubing, some yeast and other stuff
Back to top Go down
loganjonathan

loganjonathan

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 4:38 pm

huh well im definateky thinking albino bristlenoses for sure but plants and shrimp wise idk yet whats the easiest shrimp to take care of
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 5:40 pm

Ghosts and cherries are easier to find and keep painted fires are relatively easy as well but are harder to find locally
Back to top Go down
loganjonathan

loganjonathan

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 5:58 pm

huh thats good to know any other fish that are compatible with the shrimp
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 6:00 pm

The plecos are your best and only bet as for other fish you have to remember...if it fits in their mouth they're gonna eat it...the baby shrimp are quite small when hatched.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank Empty

Back to top Go down

how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next