Aquarists at USF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum for the Aquarist Club at USF - A Community for Fishy People <')))){

PortalPortal  HomeHome  About UsAbout Us  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Register  Log in  

how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dgolden

Dgolden

how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 10:39 pm

As a note according to this website they say the following:

Neon Tetras

These little fish are actually some of the best types of freshwater fish for keeping in large communities, as they don’t seem to harm anything. On top of that, the spectacle of these little guys swimming around together in a school of 7,8 or more can be an awesome sight. Peaceful and small fish, they are highly unlikely to bother your shrimp, and they are very adaptable as well, being able to live in a pH range from 5.0 to 7.0 quite comfortably. These types of fish are a beautiful addition to any shrimp tank and come well recommended.

Glow-light Tetras

Much like their neon cousins, the glow-light tetras are ideal types of tropical fish to keep with your shrimp because they are small and peaceable. They act in much the same way to their cousins as well, though they are perhaps a little bit more shy, and will take time to adjust to a new tank. During this time you can expect them to be hiding out with your shrimp.

Harelequin Rasboras

These small, intensely colorful fish are great types of tropical fish for your shrimp tank. They can be kept alone, or in shoals, or even with groups of other peaceful fish. Harlequin Rasboras generally prefer water that is slightly acidic and soft, but they can be kept in neutral or ever so slightly alkaline water without too many health problems. Note that they do like to eat live food, as well as flakes, and so if you are trying to breed shrimp then keeping them together is not such a good idea when the babies start popping out.

White Clouds

Extremely beautiful types of freshwater fish, don’t go making the mistake of assuming it looks like the white clouds that you see up in the shy. They take their name not from the clouds in the sky, but rather the mountain in China in which they were first discovered – the White Cloud Mountain.

They used to be known as a “poor man’s tetra” due to the coppery stripe that runs lengthwise along its body and the fact they have a similar body shape. These types of fish are not actually tropical fish, although they are often labeled as such, due to the way they do so well in tropical aquariums.

These types of freshwater fish are ideal for keeping with shrimp – they are peaceful, happy enough to eat flake food and leave your shrimp well alone.

Glassfish

A delightful and incredibly unique type of tropical fish, the glassfish gets its name from its distinctive translucent flesh. You can see right through them, making out their bone structure, internal organs and more.

There are several different types of glassfish, but most of them act and look similar enough. They are usually quite shy fish, and will spend a lot of time hiding out. Non-aggressive, they are unlikely to bother your shrimp too much, and usually they never grow to a large enough size to be much threat to them.

Don’t be put off by their false reputation for being difficult to keep alive. It’s said that these types of tropical fish need brackish water to survive, but in the wild they are actually found in streams rather than estuaries. So long as you keep them in true freshwater, you should have no trouble with them.

--------

However in my experience these fish are nippy
Back to top Go down
loganjonathan

loganjonathan

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 10:40 am

i want all of them lol but ive had neon tetras before what about mollies
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 12:39 pm

Mollies love to eat baby shrimp, thats why my ghosts never breed in the tank I have them in. They are aggressive eaters and live bearers. While they are community fish, I can tell you 100% that if I was trying to breed shrimp I wouldn't let them in the tank.

Mollies are great to have in a planted tank however but they do much better with a 20 gallon + tank size from my experience
Back to top Go down
loganjonathan

loganjonathan

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 1:17 pm

what about picos
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 1:19 pm

Pico's I really have no experience with. If you're going to do anything with shrimp it really needs to be small so they don't pose a threat to the shrimp babies
Back to top Go down
loganjonathan

loganjonathan

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 1:21 pm

ok what a about tiger barbs or freshwater sharks
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 1:24 pm

Freshwater sharks = dead shrimps and fast....they grow fast and love to eat...

Barbs can be nippy anything thats big and "loud" colored will get attacked, that can really stress out shrimp
Back to top Go down
loganjonathan

loganjonathan

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 1:26 pm

ok so besides the fish that u talked about any other good ones to put in there
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 1:32 pm

I think those fish are about the limits that you can put in there.

I really don't like putting any fish in at all with my shrimp. I'm just paranoid they'll get ate. Shrimp can take a while to acclimate and settle down after moving to a new tank and I don't really like stressing them.

My PFR took ~5 months to start breeding after I got them and I handle that tank with kid gloves to keep from stressing them out. If a female gets stressed out she can and will drop her eggs effectively killing her brood
Back to top Go down
loganjonathan

loganjonathan

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 1:33 pm

wow thats bad well i might just do all shrimp then
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 10:32 pm

Yea the way my tanks are with shrimp are the shrimp and the bristlenoses. Just make sure if they are in a ten you want no more than 2 bristlenoses (1 is sufficient as well)

BN Plecos don't get very large like the regular plecs either. They do eat a lot and like zucchini from time to time and will claim certain shrimp foods you put in the tank (I defeat them in this by breaking up the pieces into smaller pieces)
Back to top Go down
loganjonathan

loganjonathan

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 3:43 pm

ok where do you get those kinda pecos and i have a 20 im using
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank   how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

how do i start a freshwater shrimp only tank
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2