Aquarists at USF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum for the Aquarist Club at USF - A Community for Fishy People <')))){

PortalPortal  HomeHome  About UsAbout Us  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Register  Log in  

Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef

Go down 
+5
mangoman
Dgolden
Nicholas41
Maestro
Sam_G
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef Empty
PostSubject: Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef   Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 10:17 am

Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef diving

The time has come! As many of you know, I've been dreaming of upgrading to a larger aquarium for quite awhile now. After 4 years of collecting corals and watching them grow, my 50 gallon just became too small. It was getting to the point that the corals were so overgrown that my calcium and alkalinity were getting sucked up super fast (despite dosing twice a day) and the swings were actually doing harm to the reef. And, so...I began my quest to find a new larger aquarium. With my budget, I was limited to a used aquarium, and so I spent months perusing forums and hunting on Craigslist. Finally, I found the perfect aquarium: a 100 gallon aquarium complete with sump, stand, etc. It was perfect for me because the dimensions are a little shorter than many standard size large tanks (60” x 18” x 20”), and it came with a DIY Beananimal Overflow which made my day! mr. green The tank cycled for a little over a month, and then I moved everything from the 50 gallon over to the new home a few weeks ago. Without further ado, onto specs... (and a teaser pic).

Me and My New Aquarium:

Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef IMG_0040

- - - - - - - - -

Tank Specs:

- 100 Gallon Display w/ Beananimal Overflow
- 55 Gallon DIY Sump w/ Compartments for Skimmer, Refugium, and Return Pump
- DIY Canopy housing 3 Aqua Illumination (AI) Sol Blue LED fixtures
- Reef Octopus DNW-150 In-Sump Skimmer
- Mag-Drive 18 Return Pump
- Aqueon Pro 250W Heater
- Grounding Probe
- DIY Spray Bar Returns
- In-line Next Reef MR1 Reactor running Carbon
- JBJ Auto Top Off (ATO)
- DIY Mesh Tops

More info and pics coming soon. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Maestro

Maestro

PostSubject: Re: Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef   Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 11:12 am

Congratulations on A. being able to fit inside your tank and B. YOUR TANK!!!!! excited
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef   Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 2:43 pm

Maestro wrote:
Congratulations on A. being able to fit inside your tank and B. YOUR TANK!!!!! excited

Thank you! Very Happy Yes, I thought it to be quite the milestone to finally own an aquarium big enough that I could fit inside! dance
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef   Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 11:31 am

So not to turn this thread into an immediate bore, but I felt that I needed to give some background on the Beananimal overflow to explain the current set-up of my new aquarium. So, a little theory first about Beananimal overflows for those of you who have no idea what I was talking about in my first post...

Several months back I saw a post about how Beananimal overflows were the ‘best’ type of overflow, and I thought to myself, “What the heck is a ‘beananimal’?!” Well, if you search Reefcentral and elsewhere this question will be answered by very long threads (in fact, the current Reefcentral thread has been split into two threads because it had gotten so long that it was slowing server performance). Over a month or so, I read these threads and became convinced that I wanted my next tank to have a Beananimal overflow. I planned to do the DIY project myself, but ended up being very relieved to find a used tank for sale that already had one built in. Smile Below I will attempt to concisely summarize what the Beananimal overflow is and its benefits...

Okay, so a Beananimal overflow utilizes a Calfo overflow box (after Anthony Calfo). Basically a Calfo overflow is an overflow box that runs the length of one side of the aquarium (either internally or externally). It is praised as the ‘best’ type of overflow because it maximizes surface skimming and greatly increases tank turnover. This Calfo overflow is combined with three drains (the Beananimal part - named after the inventor ‘Beananimal’ a member of Reefcentral). The three drains function as follows:

1. Main Drain (aka Full Siphon) - handles most of water volume
2. Secondary Drain (aka Open Channel) - handles spillover from main drain and can act as full siphon if Main Drain fails
3. Emergency Drain - handles overflow if Main Drain and Secondary Drain fail

Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef Back-wide_500x375

Benefits:

- The system is failsafe. If the first drain fails, the second one takes over. If that isn’t enough, the second drain converts to a full siphon (via attached airline that becomes submerged). If that fails, then you still have the emergency drain. This makes the Beananimal more valuable than the popular Herbie overflow.

- Quiet. First, the Calfo overflow box is quieter than other overflow boxes. This is due to the vast length of the overflow which allows the water to gently cascade over it in comparison to the waterfall effect that is so common of standard overflow boxes. Second, since the Main Drain is at full capacity, it is silent (no air bubbles, so no gurgling). This is enabled by allowing a slight excess to trickle into the Secondary Drain (this trickle is basically ‘silent’).

- - - - - - -

So, there you have it. I have tried to be concise, and I hope I was successful in being at least somewhat efficient in my explanations. However, there is a lot more on this subject than I care to fit here, as this is my Showcase Thread and not a Beananimal soapbox. For more info, I am providing links below. Summary of this post: Beananimal’s are ‘COOL’, and I am thrilled to be trying one out! mr. green

Link to Beananimal’s Website

Link to RC Beananimal Thread Part 1

Link to RC Beananimal Thread Part 2
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef   Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 5:36 pm

nice thread
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef   Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 7:31 pm

This is going to be AWESOME!!! I can't wait!!!!

What site did you use to make the mockup of the setup?! It's kind of hard for me to read that background text
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef   Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 10:59 pm

Nicholas41 wrote:
nice thread
thanks

Dgolden wrote:
This is going to be AWESOME!!! I can't wait!!!!

What site did you use to make the mockup of the setup?! It's kind of hard for me to read that background text
It's actually Beananimal's from his website. Can't take credit for it...
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef   Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 11:19 pm

back to graph paper for me then
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef   Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 9:49 am

Okay, so back to this being a Showcase Thread...

After adding some live and dry sand to the display and refugium and adding a mix of about 90 lbs of Tukani, Totoka, and Haitian live rock, I threw 3 raw shrimp into my tank to get the cycle going.

After roughly four weeks, the shrimp were completely dissolved and my water parameters said it was time to get going!

Water Parameters: Good to Go!
Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef IMG_0157

FTS:
Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef IMG_0051

Adding the CUC:
Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef IMG_0191
Back to top Go down
mangoman

mangoman

PostSubject: Re: Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef   Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 10:11 am

Absolutely love the rock layout Very Happy

is it glued/puttied together?

Will you painting/shadowboxing/putting one of those sticky things on the back?

Does the tank have a canopy?

What's in your cleanup crew?

sorry for all the questions
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef   Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 1:13 pm

You're making me want to jump into a big salt tank Smile
Back to top Go down
xwesx1978

xwesx1978

PostSubject: Re: Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef   Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 1:40 pm

looking awesome , love the rock work
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef   Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 2:30 pm

Thanks for all of the compliments guys! Very Happy

mangoman wrote:

is it glued/puttied together?

Will you painting/shadowboxing/putting one of those sticky things on the back?

Does the tank have a canopy?

What's in your cleanup crew?

1. Some of the rocks are expoxied together, but most are just placed firmly together.

2. Considering painting the back black, but for right now I'm happy.

3. Complicated, but yes. The aquarium came with a canopy, but it's dimensions couldn't fit my lights. This led to a 4-week DIY canopy project that I will post when I find some more time. faint

4. CUC consists of: Blue-leg hermits, zebra turbos, nassarius snails, emerald crabs, 3 peppermint shrimp, and then the stuff from my 50 gallon (random snails, hermits, and Junior my skunk cleaner shrimp).

Last edited by Sam_G on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Maestro

Maestro

PostSubject: Re: Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef   Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 2:46 pm

Dgolden wrote:
back to graph paper for me then

Sketchup.com is an excellent, easy to operate, 3D program that you can use for FREE!!!!

Save a tree, go 3D mr. green
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef   Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 8:37 pm

With the nitrogen cycle being done, it was time to move the livestock from my old 50 gallon to the new aquarium. However, I ran into a glitch...

The 100 gallon had come with a stand and canopy. Everything seemed perfect until I realized that the canopy was a few inches too short to house my AI Sol Blues. This little discrepancy ended up creating a rather big problem. You see, as I mentioned earlier, 100 gallon aquariums aren’t a standard size, which meant buying a canopy would be a bit tricky. Also, my wallet is rather tight (having just purchased the new tank), so buying a ‘new’ canopy was going to be difficult. This meant that I would have to find a cheap, used, canopy with the right dimensions. Well, I looked, but couldn’t find one. This meant that I was left with the option of building my own canopy from scratch. Those of you that know me know that I often take on ambitious projects that are a little out of my reach. Well, building my DIY Canopy was one of these projects. Four or so weeks later, I can now say that I am very pleased with the results, but, a few weeks ago, I was ready to take my hammer and smash everything in sight. The canopy build is too long, IMHO, to post here, but here’s a link to a thread outlining the build that I posted in the DIY Sub-Forum: https://aquarists-at-usf.forumotion.com/t669-diy-aquarium-canopy#5823

A few pics of the end product:

Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef IMG_0204

Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef IMG_0207

Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef IMG_0331

Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef IMG_0206
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef   Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 10:41 pm

WOW

Looking GREAT!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to see some close ups Smile
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef   Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 8:38 am

Dgolden wrote:
WOW

Looking GREAT!!!!!!!!!
Thanks, Drew! Very Happy

Dgolden wrote:
I can't wait to see some close ups Smile
Getting there Wink
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef   Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 8:43 am

So, now, with the canopy done and everything ready to go, it was time for the hard part: Moving all of my fish, corals, and other inverts to the new aquarium...

I was really excited for this part, but also rather terrified. I am very attached to my fish and corals (probably a little too attached) and was worried that they might not survive the move. One of the most challenging parts was going to be to get the corals off of the rocks since I used new LR for the 100 gallon and, therefore, needed to get the corals off of the old rocks.

Now that the process is over, I can happily say that all of the fish made it safely, as well as the majority of the corals. Smile The move went better than I could have imagined. At times things looked rough (like when I couldn’t find Goby or when I broke off some acro chunks), but all in all it went really well.

Pic of me trying to chisel off some corals from the LR (Dan is providing moral support):
Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef IMG_0208

Pic of the ORA Miami Orchid out of water. I couldn’t believe how BIG it is!!
Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef IMG_0210

Pics of the corals placed on the sandbed, frag racks, and anywhere I could find space in the 100 gallon (looks like a hurricane ripped through my tank Shocked):
Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef IMG_0201

Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef IMG_0202

Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef IMG_0203

Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef IMG_0200
Back to top Go down
mangoman

mangoman

PostSubject: Re: Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef   Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 12:21 pm

looking gooood(: i cant wait to see some lights on this beauty!
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef   Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 9:07 pm

Wow really going great!@!!
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef   Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 9:43 pm

Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef   Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 9:44 pm

Pics of my happy fish and Junior. They like the extra space Very Happy

Harry:
Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef DSC09518_2_2

Sean & Sydney (still hosting the monti even after the move) Rolling Eyes
Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef DSC09498

Goby:
Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef IMG_0347

Junior:
Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef DSC09532
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef   Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 9:58 am

Some shots of my corals content with polyps extended in their new home...

Duncans:
Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef DSC09463

Light Blue Zoas:
Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef DSC09465

Zoas from Eric:
Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef DSC09468

Superman Zoas:
Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef DSC09497

Frogspawn and Hammer cluster:
Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef DSC09472
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef   Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 9:58 am

Some more pics...

ORA Hawkins:
Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef DSC09477

Armor of God Paly:
Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef DSC09485

Rainbow Monti (coming back from the dead! :SMILEY:)
Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef DSC09489

Montipora Lantana:
Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef DSC09495

Green Toadstool:
Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef DSC09501
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

Some more happy corals...

ORA Tri-Color Valida:
Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef DSC09505

Season’s Greeting:
Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef DSC09508

Teal Hammer:
Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef DSC09510

Setosa:
Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef DSC09511

Neon Green Monti:
Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef DSC09525

Pink Turbinaria:
Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef DSC09467

ORA Tri-Color Valida:
Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef DSC09528

ORA Borealis (look at the polyp extension! Shocked):
Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef DSC09530

Cotton Candy Chalice (making a recovery! Smile):
Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef DSC09494

All of the corals seem much happier in the new aquarium. I think it was just too overcrowded in the 50 gallon which contributed to huge alkalinity and calcium swings. Now with more water volume, things are stable and everything seems to be doing better. Corals are finally coloring up. It seems like every week they look a little bit better. Smile Even a few of the remaining chalices are starting to come back. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef   Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef Empty

Back to top Go down

Samantha's 100 Gallon Mixed Reef
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next