Aquarists at USF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum for the Aquarist Club at USF - A Community for Fishy People <')))){

PortalPortal  HomeHome  About UsAbout Us  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Register  Log in  

Sps only opening at night

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
mangoman

mangoman

Sps only opening at night Empty
PostSubject: Sps only opening at night   Sps only opening at night EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 6:01 pm

My Miami orchid frag has only been opening its polyps at night.. It gets great extension at night but none during the day. I will post pictures soon..

Samantha had suggested the PH/Alk fluctuations between day and night may be the culprit. Now I'm trying to figure out if I need to lower or raise my Alk so that the coral will be open during the day..

All other sps (about 10) are open during the day but not at night.. weird right? think
Back to top Go down
mangoman

mangoman

PostSubject: Re: Sps only opening at night   Sps only opening at night EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 6:45 pm

Just tested, Ca is 300-320ppm..

I'll try to get it up over the next week..
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Sps only opening at night   Sps only opening at night EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 6:55 pm

I would try to boost your Calcium, and find a kit to double check your Alk reading. Most likely if your calcium is low, so is your Alk, though. Hopefully, once your get your parameters up things will act more normal. fingers-crossed
Back to top Go down
mangoman

mangoman

PostSubject: Re: Sps only opening at night   Sps only opening at night EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 8:03 pm

My usual dose for Ca was 40ml once a week.. should I bump this up to 40ml 3 times a week until my Ca gets back to normal?

The same with my Alk?
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Sps only opening at night   Sps only opening at night EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 8:33 pm

Honestly, I don't know, Eric. What do you dose with?
Back to top Go down
mangoman

mangoman

PostSubject: Re: Sps only opening at night   Sps only opening at night EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 9:24 pm

Um hmm...

Ca is just B-Ionic Part B..
Alk is DT PURE reef elements alk
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Sps only opening at night   Sps only opening at night EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 11:12 pm

I've never used either of those brands. Do they recommend a dosing amount? If so, I'd follow that until your Ca and Alk reach proper levels.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sps only opening at night   Sps only opening at night Empty

Back to top Go down

Sps only opening at night
Page 1 of 1