Aquarists at USF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum for the Aquarist Club at USF - A Community for Fishy People <')))){

PortalPortal  HomeHome  About UsAbout Us  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Register  Log in  

Detective work

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rahmoondog

Rahmoondog

Detective work Empty
PostSubject: Detective work   Detective work EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 1:52 pm

I'd like to find out what happened to my tank to hopefully avoid it in the future. Combing the internet has been of no great help, so I figured you guys could.
About a month ago I fed my fish in St. Pete and left for Tampa like I always did. I returned two days later to be greeted by a powerful stench had consumed my room. I immediately looked to my tank and, to my horror, found that the water was an opaque green. I desperately attempted to find if any of my fish were still alive, only finding carcasses. Most had sunk to the bottom, only one was floating. All of my filters were running and all of the fish were whole (not nibbled even a little). In my years caring for fish I had never run into something like this and I have no idea what could have caused it.
I can answer any questions any of you have if it will help find out what happened
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

Detective work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detective work   Detective work EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 9:00 am

Hmm...definitely weird.

I've got a few ideas...

- Power outtage while you were gone. This could have led to a depletion of oxygen killing everything.

- Temperature swing. Did the temp change a lot while you were gone?

- Stray Electricity. Maybe one of your electrical devices broke or started producing stray voltage in the tank...?

That's all I've got... Sad
Back to top Go down
Rahmoondog

Rahmoondog

Detective work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detective work   Detective work EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 12:15 am

All of the filters were running when it got to the tank that day (and completely filthy). The temperature swing theory is the best I have to work with at the moment. I have a heater that will be set to prevent any dramatic drops in temperature. I just really hope that it never happens again.
Back to top Go down
loganjonathan

loganjonathan

Detective work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detective work   Detective work EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 7:50 pm

id have to agree with temp swing theory
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Detective work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detective work   Detective work Empty

Back to top Go down

Detective work