Aquarists at USF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum for the Aquarist Club at USF - A Community for Fishy People <')))){

PortalPortal  HomeHome  About UsAbout Us  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Register  Log in  

Rate your Skimmer

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Maestro

Maestro

Rate your Skimmer Empty
PostSubject: Rate your Skimmer   Rate your Skimmer EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 8:41 am

Sooooo.... its time for an upgrade!!!!!! headbanger

I am currently working with a wet/dry sump and overflow system. All is working well, but its time for a skimmer before I add coral to my tank.

I have read everything published on skimmers, the different patents, and of course the big guns. However, I want to know how you rate YOUR skimmer. First hand experience with pros/cons, price/value, etc.

Thanks Everybody.
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

Rate your Skimmer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rate your Skimmer   Rate your Skimmer EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 9:43 am

I've had experience with a HOB Octopus, an Odyssea PS-75, and an Octopus DNW-150. I'm a big fan of the Reef Octopus skimmers. The HOB served me well; however, I prefer the DNW-150 that I am using currently. The DNW-150 produces a ton of bubbles and pulls out some good muck. Also, I like the gate valve on it for adjusting flow and that the cup has a drain so I can funnel skimmate into a 2-liter or some other container if I choose to do so. The PS-75 is a good skimmer for the price. I bought the skimmer new for about $40, and it did a fair job. The Octopus skimmers kick its butt, though.
Back to top Go down
loganjonathan

loganjonathan

Rate your Skimmer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rate your Skimmer   Rate your Skimmer EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 7:59 pm

i have no idea what mine is called but it is the best thing i ever got it came with the tank i bought so i didnt pay anything but i like it and it runs great
Back to top Go down
mangoman

mangoman

Rate your Skimmer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rate your Skimmer   Rate your Skimmer EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 10:04 pm

I've got a Euroreef 180 that isn't too bad. Its a bid loud, but it works well for the price.

My favorite was one I had with my 120g, it was an external skimmer that fed off the return pump. It was a no-name that someone had custom made and that thing skimmed so well. Made only as much noise as the return pump (it was external as well and was quiet) and didn't create a mess of bubbles
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rate your Skimmer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rate your Skimmer   Rate your Skimmer Empty

Back to top Go down

Rate your Skimmer
Page 1 of 1