Aquarists at USF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum for the Aquarist Club at USF - A Community for Fishy People <')))){

PortalPortal  HomeHome  About UsAbout Us  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Register  Log in  

Leopard Wrasse Help

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

Leopard Wrasse Help Empty
PostSubject: Leopard Wrasse Help   Leopard Wrasse Help EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 6:18 pm

I've owned a splendid leopard wrasse for 2 years. She's doing great, eating well. I am thinking about adding more splendid leopard wrasses. I was going to add just one more, but there is a local reefer selling a trio of females for a great price. My aquarium is only 50 gallons. What do you all think? How many should I add, if any? I currently have in the aquarium: 1 leopard wrasse, 1 tailspot blenny, 1 watchman goby, and 2 naked clownfish.

Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
Iceelover

Iceelover

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Wrasse Help   Leopard Wrasse Help EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 11:55 pm

I personally have never had the best of luck with wrasses. I dont know how you people do it.

That aside

I think because you're experienced in having them, you could easily pick up another but I would be highly hesitant to add three. Bad things happen in threes, haha

As far as adding more in general, feeding and territory would be my biggest concerns. Since you have one alive and well, I take it the substrate and maturity of your tank suit the species fine. Do you feed the wrasse or allow it to hunt critters in the tank? Do you know if the ones in the trio hunt or are fed? If they are fed, you might be able to add two, but if they hunt I would worry about them depleting your critter collection. With each hunter, the critter population will decrease exponentially. A lot of people (including myself once) forget that and overestimate the number of things they can support.
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Wrasse Help   Leopard Wrasse Help EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 8:31 am

Thanks for the input, Ashley. All of the wrasses eat frozen food, so that's not a concern, but I am worried about adding 3 being too much. I'm leaning on buying 1 or 2 right now...
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Wrasse Help   Leopard Wrasse Help EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 4:48 pm

Picked up 2 of them. Hoping for the best fingers-crossed
Back to top Go down
AshleyG

AshleyG

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Wrasse Help   Leopard Wrasse Help EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 4:51 pm

how are they doing?
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Wrasse Help   Leopard Wrasse Help EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 11:09 pm

Unfortunately, not so hot. sob

The little female that I bought hasn't come out at all (unless she is coming out when the lights are off). On the other hand, the larger female has popped her head out a few times. I believe she's made a grand total of 4 appearances in the last 2 weeks. Unfortunately, she doesn't seem to be adjusting to coming out every day, and while she picks at some frozen food, I don't think she's eating enough. Sad
Back to top Go down
AshleyG

AshleyG

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Wrasse Help   Leopard Wrasse Help EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 12:15 pm

Ahhh sad!! You just never know with fish I suppose. Hopefully they are making pilgrimages while you are out
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Wrasse Help   Leopard Wrasse Help EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 12:56 pm

Yeah. Unfortunately, the medication that I have been dosing my aquarium with to kill the red bugs, also kills pods. So, if the wrasses are coming out, there's not much for them to munch on... Sad
Back to top Go down
mangoman

mangoman

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Wrasse Help   Leopard Wrasse Help EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 1:13 pm

if you're done dosing the meds i'd do a big waterchange and buy 1000 pods to add. only cost like $10 and will get you started Smile
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Wrasse Help   Leopard Wrasse Help EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 1:31 pm

I'm doing a 25% WC after each treatment. I've got one more treatment to go next week. Which pods are you referring to? I know they sell tigger pods, but that's all I've seen before at LFS...
Back to top Go down
mangoman

mangoman

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Wrasse Help   Leopard Wrasse Help EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 7:54 pm

um copepods. you can order from reefs2go and either do local pickup (just the otherside of the bridge into st. pete) or they ship to you door..

like $10
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Wrasse Help   Leopard Wrasse Help EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 11:04 am

Thanks, Eric!
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Wrasse Help   Leopard Wrasse Help EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 12:29 pm

Is Reefs2Go always open for local pick-up, or do you need to make an appointment or something?
Back to top Go down
mangoman

mangoman

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Wrasse Help   Leopard Wrasse Help EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 8:59 pm

i think just call it in and they're open most days of the week for us locals Smile
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Wrasse Help   Leopard Wrasse Help EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 11:23 pm

Great! Thanks again!!
Back to top Go down
loganjonathan

loganjonathan

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Wrasse Help   Leopard Wrasse Help EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 6:01 pm

try bloodworms they entice any fish to come out bloodworms are a miracle for those fish that are timid i had a bicolor angelfish and i threw some bloodworm in and he came out instantaniously
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Wrasse Help   Leopard Wrasse Help Empty

Back to top Go down

Leopard Wrasse Help
Page 1 of 1