Aquarists at USF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum for the Aquarist Club at USF - A Community for Fishy People <')))){

PortalPortal  HomeHome  About UsAbout Us  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Register  Log in  

Helfrichi and goby have ick.

Go down 
+2
Iceelover
Nicholas41
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

Helfrichi and goby have ick. Empty
PostSubject: Helfrichi and goby have ick.   Helfrichi and goby have ick. EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 8:03 pm

Two of my fish came down with ich. I recently removed liverock from the tank to put into my other one. Any suggestions on how to get rid of it?
Back to top Go down
Iceelover

Iceelover

PostSubject: Re: Helfrichi and goby have ick.   Helfrichi and goby have ick. EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 8:12 pm

There's a medication for it if you dont have inverts in there (like corals or snails). I've also heard dropping the salinity to about 15 could help, and I know raising the temp of the tank will quicken the life cycle. I've also heard fish could build up a resistance to them if infected multiple times.
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: Helfrichi and goby have ick.   Helfrichi and goby have ick. EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 8:18 pm

Thanks, It's looking like I'd have to setup a QT tank regardless since I have LR, sand, inverts, and corals in the tank.
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Helfrichi and goby have ick.   Helfrichi and goby have ick. EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 8:57 pm

Yeah, QT them and copper/medication.

Also, I've read garlic and Vitamin C can boost their immune systems and help the fish fight it off.

Sorry about your fish. Sad Good luck!
Back to top Go down
ggutier3

ggutier3

PostSubject: Re: Helfrichi and goby have ick.   Helfrichi and goby have ick. EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 5:16 pm

Do a hypo-salinity dip.
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: Helfrichi and goby have ick.   Helfrichi and goby have ick. EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 8:39 pm

I was going to do a hypo-QT tank, but was headed out to hillsborough ave, so I gave them to Coral Corral.
Back to top Go down
Iceelover

Iceelover

PostSubject: Re: Helfrichi and goby have ick.   Helfrichi and goby have ick. EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 10:35 pm

Even though you got rid of the fish, you may still have the parasite in your tank's substrate...
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: Helfrichi and goby have ick.   Helfrichi and goby have ick. EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 3:04 am

I am aware, and that's why the tank will sit without any fish for at least 8 weeks, or until I close it down. I may run a UV sterilizer on it too to help eradicate them from the water column.
Back to top Go down
AshleyG

AshleyG

PostSubject: Re: Helfrichi and goby have ick.   Helfrichi and goby have ick. EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 3:56 pm

Suuuucks!! Will you be getting the same kind of fish again? Or plan on new ones?
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: Helfrichi and goby have ick.   Helfrichi and goby have ick. EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 12:55 pm

I was at a 50/50 on selling them. I was considering more aggressive fish for my 56 instead... So now I guess aggressive it will be!

Right now I'm considering a dwarf lion, a moray, and either a handful of chromis or a wrasse of some sort. Or maybe a moray and a pair of maroon clowns. I still have plenty of time to decide though!
Back to top Go down
mangoman

mangoman

PostSubject: Re: Helfrichi and goby have ick.   Helfrichi and goby have ick. EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 1:57 pm

moray + chromis = Full moray Wink

Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: Helfrichi and goby have ick.   Helfrichi and goby have ick. EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 8:04 pm

Yeah tease I thought they'd be fun too watch though.... while they would be in there lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Helfrichi and goby have ick.   Helfrichi and goby have ick. Empty

Back to top Go down

Helfrichi and goby have ick.
Page 1 of 1