Aquarists at USF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum for the Aquarist Club at USF - A Community for Fishy People <')))){

PortalPortal  HomeHome  About UsAbout Us  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Register  Log in  

The USF Aquarium

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Iceelover

Iceelover

The USF Aquarium Empty
PostSubject: The USF Aquarium   The USF Aquarium EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 6:42 pm

I realize this is currently WAY out the budget range, probably for a few semesters at least, but I heard that back in the days of the "Old Marshall Center" (before I began attending USF) there was a large fishtank (FW I think) that a somewhat Aquarist-like club tended to. Im sure having an aquarium centerpeice somewhere on campus would be great for advertisement as well as being a fun (or maybe just tedious?) activity for members. It would give us all a chance to have that 200gallon tank and get the crazy inhabitants we've always wanted, without the burden of being the ONLY one taking care of it (or forking out the money for). Maybe even get LFS to donate fish. It would give lots of people a chance to try something new (maybe people who are new to aquarium keeping, or people who've never done FW, like me).

It seemed like a good idea, but I dont know how plausable it actually is.

Also, on a side note because I dont want to start a new thread: does anyone have good links for aquascaping? I never LOVE the layout of my aquarium.
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

The USF Aquarium Empty
PostSubject: Re: The USF Aquarium   The USF Aquarium EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 12:34 pm

Yes, there was a large aquarium set-up in MSC. I never saw it, but many people have told me about it. It used to be run by an Aquarist Club that existed a few years ago.

I think it's a great idea, but it would require extra funding and a lot of work. If there was interest, we could ask SG for funding for the project for next school year when we submit the budget this January. Our budget is already done for this school year. Sad

Dr. Motta was the advisor of the former Aquarist Club as well. We talked about setting up an aquarium display, and he warned me that IACUC protocol can be a serious pain. Basically, someone not only has to feed the fish everyday, but test the water as well and keep a log. This isn't a problem so much during the year, but during Spring Break, Winter Break, and Summer, this could be a problem.

We'd have to decide if this is something that we would want to do before the budget request is due this January. I do think that it would be really fun and great advertising. It's also going to require the serious dedication of a group of students. And, unless several dedicated students come forward (particularly students who could maintain the aquarium over the vacation breaks during which I typically travel), we can't do it.

If people are interested, post here.
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

The USF Aquarium Empty
PostSubject: Re: The USF Aquarium   The USF Aquarium EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 12:36 pm

Oh, and as far as aquascape, I don't have a good link. I just try it different ways until I like it. Wink
Back to top Go down
mangoman

mangoman

The USF Aquarium Empty
PostSubject: Re: The USF Aquarium   The USF Aquarium EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 3:10 pm

Sounds cool but yeah budgeting would be a pain! Sad
Back to top Go down
schudini

schudini

The USF Aquarium Empty
PostSubject: Re: The USF Aquarium   The USF Aquarium EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 4:31 pm

Yes, the tank in the "Old" Marshall Center was a saltwater, FOWLR tank, acrylic about 1" thick. It was about 8 ft long, and full of cyano algae, to feed the tangs I guess. Lots of scratches.

That being said, it was very nice to sit in front of the tank while studying, or relax and watch it during lunch.
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

The USF Aquarium Empty
PostSubject: Re: The USF Aquarium   The USF Aquarium EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 5:13 pm

Part of me really wants to do it, but the other half of me thinks it's crazy. Cleaning the aquarium, changing filter pads and carbon, water changes, even feeding them and testing the water becomes difficult when accounting for weekends and vacations...
Back to top Go down
mangoman

mangoman

The USF Aquarium Empty
PostSubject: Re: The USF Aquarium   The USF Aquarium EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 8:36 pm

Hmm well if it makes any difference. I may need to sell my aquarium soon.. $400 for the stand, tank, canopy, sump and pump? Basiclly everything you'd need to keep it running minus lights..

Can you work that into the budget? lol
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

The USF Aquarium Empty
PostSubject: Re: The USF Aquarium   The USF Aquarium EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 8:44 pm

You're selling it?! Tell me its because you're upgrading...!
Back to top Go down
mangoman

mangoman

The USF Aquarium Empty
PostSubject: Re: The USF Aquarium   The USF Aquarium EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 8:48 pm

How'd you guess? Wink

Well, trying to. Mom is for it dad is no. but I'm working on that... should be able to get it. if so, its a 240 cube! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

The USF Aquarium Empty
PostSubject: Re: The USF Aquarium   The USF Aquarium EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 8:49 pm

Nicholas had mentioned you were considering a 240. That's awesome!! cheers
Back to top Go down
mangoman

mangoman

The USF Aquarium Empty
PostSubject: Re: The USF Aquarium   The USF Aquarium EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 9:10 pm

I know! Very Happy

Thank you!
Did you ever decide what to do about your t5's?
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

The USF Aquarium Empty
PostSubject: Re: The USF Aquarium   The USF Aquarium EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 9:38 pm

The T5s are only 6 months olds, so I have time to think about it. I'd like to see if I can get a T5 combo that replicates the radiums. You said you run radiums right?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The USF Aquarium Empty
PostSubject: Re: The USF Aquarium   The USF Aquarium Empty

Back to top Go down

The USF Aquarium
Page 1 of 1