Aquarists at USF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum for the Aquarist Club at USF - A Community for Fishy People <')))){

PortalPortal  HomeHome  About UsAbout Us  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Register  Log in  

SuperDave's 5g pico reef evolution

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
SuperDave0531

SuperDave0531

SuperDave's  5g pico reef evolution Empty
PostSubject: SuperDave's 5g pico reef evolution   SuperDave's  5g pico reef evolution EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 11:54 pm

Hey guys! I've had my little 5g pico reef since last Jan and it's been put up and torn down a couple of times, but it still lives. I'll post some pictures along with some video clips I made. Hope you guys enjoy!

This is what it looked like the first time it was up
SuperDave's  5g pico reef evolution 444f7314

Daisy polyps (courtesy of Marine Warehouse)
SuperDave's  5g pico reef evolution 6adf991f

Tobie the yellow watchman goby
SuperDave's  5g pico reef evolution 2f921d7f

SuperDave's  5g pico reef evolution DSC00273

My percula pair playing the pipe organ Smile
SuperDave's  5g pico reef evolution 184342_10100480364911713_5204793_67179548_7870804_n

A little history on this tiny tank

This particular setup I had up while my AquaPod was cycling. Since all the mechanicals I had were all second hand equipment failure was eminent. I moved the livestock to the AP, and took this one down for a couple of weeks when I had some more time to put it back up again.

This is what it looks like today:

SuperDave's  5g pico reef evolution C9a94696

Micro-sump-fuge
SuperDave's  5g pico reef evolution C720e8d2

SuperDave's  5g pico reef evolution 9a0eee7a

Candy canes (courtesy of Marine Warehouse)
SuperDave's  5g pico reef evolution F8d0bedb

This little setup and I have been through quite a bit. Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: SuperDave's 5g pico reef evolution   SuperDave's  5g pico reef evolution EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 12:31 am

Looks great (both before and after)!! Very Happy Everything looks beautiful! Love the fish and corals, and your water looks crystal clear! And, I especially LOVE that you posted videos! Super awesome!! mr. green What brand of aquarium is it? What lights are you running on it?

Really cool aquascaping btw. cheers
Back to top Go down
SuperDave0531

SuperDave0531

PostSubject: Re: SuperDave's 5g pico reef evolution   SuperDave's  5g pico reef evolution EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 12:40 am

Smile um... brand? well. I'll call it Ken's Garage Brand, because my friend Ken gave it to me out of his garage *laughs*

As for lighting I started to run a 50/50 13w PC bulb from my office desk lamp, and I found a 13" long generic light fixture on the web advertised in another one of my forums brand new for $30 I think it was. New business I believe. The guy even threw in an extra bulb. Right now it's running a 27w PC 50/50. My moonlight I just got from marinedepot.com, and 2-sided-taped it to the underside of the fixture. My student budget doesn't quite yet allow for the self ballasted PAR 38 blue and white LEDs yet.

Ken also gave me an old AquaClear 50 which I modded into a micro refugium before the first teardown. I now run a new AC 30 for mechanical filtration and some water polishing.

Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: SuperDave's 5g pico reef evolution   SuperDave's  5g pico reef evolution EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 2:18 am

Tank looks amazing! I love the thickness of the glass and the aquascape you did with the rocks!
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: SuperDave's 5g pico reef evolution   SuperDave's  5g pico reef evolution EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 7:55 am

SuperDave0531 wrote:
Smile um... brand? well. I'll call it Ken's Garage Brand, because my friend Ken gave it to me out of his garage *laughs*

As for lighting I started to run a 50/50 13w PC bulb from my office desk lamp, and I found a 13" long generic light fixture on the web advertised in another one of my forums brand new for $30 I think it was. New business I believe. The guy even threw in an extra bulb. Right now it's running a 27w PC 50/50. My moonlight I just got from marinedepot.com, and 2-sided-taped it to the underside of the fixture. My student budget doesn't quite yet allow for the self ballasted PAR 38 blue and white LEDs yet.

Ken also gave me an old AquaClear 50 which I modded into a micro refugium before the first teardown. I now run a new AC 30 for mechanical filtration and some water polishing.

Haha. Smile I'm surprised things look so well under the PC lighting. That's cool to know since it's a cheap way to set up an aquarium. About a year ago, I modded an Aquaclear 110 for a HOB fuge on my old 46 gallon. Worked pretty well.
Back to top Go down
SuperDave0531

SuperDave0531

PostSubject: Re: SuperDave's 5g pico reef evolution   SuperDave's  5g pico reef evolution EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 11:16 am

They are hefty pieces of equipment, those AC's! really built to last I tell ya. The one my friend handed down to me had already been used for years and not really been maintained as well as it could've been. I was still able to get a good 4 months use out of it. I could use it again, but I'd need to replace the driver.

The CF lighting has done pretty well for me with this tank. My candy cane is already breaking splitting, and I think I've only had it for a few weeks at most. My AquaPod on the other hand is another story. I struggle to fulfill it's needs sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: SuperDave's 5g pico reef evolution   SuperDave's  5g pico reef evolution EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 11:45 am

What's the challenge with the Aquapod?
Back to top Go down
SuperDave0531

SuperDave0531

PostSubject: Re: SuperDave's 5g pico reef evolution   SuperDave's  5g pico reef evolution EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 12:07 pm

The fish in there don't seem to be as happy as I've seen them before. The on board lighting is quite dodgy and there's not much I can really do about it at the moment. I almost want to rip everything out and start again with it. The water quality isn't quite where I'd like to keep it. Since the setup of it was kind of in a rush because of my old equipment conching out, and not having as much time to get this one going as the first one, I feel as if it was kind of rushed. I'll post it as a new showcase thread in a little while so you can all see it.
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: SuperDave's 5g pico reef evolution   SuperDave's  5g pico reef evolution EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 12:45 pm

Yeah, post a showcase thread for it, and maybe we can help. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SuperDave's 5g pico reef evolution   SuperDave's  5g pico reef evolution Empty

Back to top Go down

SuperDave's 5g pico reef evolution
Page 1 of 1