Aquarists at USF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum for the Aquarist Club at USF - A Community for Fishy People <')))){

PortalPortal  HomeHome  About UsAbout Us  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Register  Log in  

pics of my 29 bio

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Gimplar

Gimplar

pics of my 29 bio Empty
PostSubject: pics of my 29 bio   pics of my 29 bio EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 7:29 pm

Just sold it and transfered everything over to my new 50gal cube, but i figured i'd post some pics of it froma few months ago.

pics of my 29 bio 118_0562
pics of my 29 bio 118_0570
pics of my 29 bio 118_0569
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

pics of my 29 bio Empty
PostSubject: Re: pics of my 29 bio   pics of my 29 bio EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 8:01 pm

Beautiful tank! I love the birdsnest and the Acros look great! What type of lighting was on your biocube? I was thinking about getting a 29 but wasn't sure if the lighting would make my corals look brownish.
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

pics of my 29 bio Empty
PostSubject: Re: pics of my 29 bio   pics of my 29 bio EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 9:25 pm

Your aquarium is GORGEOUS!!! Your corals and RBTAs are just beautiful! Your 50 gallon is going to AMAZING!!! drool We now DEMAND pics of the 50 gallon!! Wink

I'm with Nicholas, though. What lights were on the Biocube? Was it an HQI model, or modded? I don't think I've ever seen a Biocube set-up that looked this good! (my BC14 certainly didn't look like this... Laughing)
Back to top Go down
Gimplar

Gimplar

pics of my 29 bio Empty
PostSubject: Re: pics of my 29 bio   pics of my 29 bio EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 9:35 pm

Nicholas41 wrote:
Beautiful tank! I love the birdsnest and the Acros look great! What type of lighting was on your biocube? I was thinking about getting a 29 but wasn't sure if the lighting would make my corals look brownish.

Tyvm, yeah it's a ponope birds nest. for some reason mine turned completely pink and super skinny.

I took every "stock" off the tank. did a DIY overflow box down to a 20gal acrylic sump with micron filter sock, euroreef skimmer (not sure what model, but its rated for 90gal+ and cost $10!), and 2 media reactors. One media reactor with biopellets, the other with carbon.

I'm using a mag 7 as a return pump.

The stock hood was replaced with a single 150watt HQI reef optix 2 with a 20k radium bulb.

Lighting normally isnt the cause of corals turning brown. Normally it's due to poor water quality (either the water you're buying isn't as pure as the store is telling you or your RODI unit needs to be checked).
bad water parameters, such as low/high calcium, alkalinity, salinity, nitrites, ect ect are another big cause of color loss.

But as a disclaimer, different corals will respond to different tanks. I have a good friend whos in the hobby, has a very successful SPS tank and almost every frag i've given him has changed colors. and the ponope, for example, turned to its normal color (google image).

Sam_G wrote:
Your aquarium is GORGEOUS!!! Your corals and RBTAs are just beautiful! Your 50 gallon is going to AMAZING!!! drool We now DEMAND pics of the 50 gallon!! Wink

I'm with Nicholas, though. What lights were on the Biocube? Was it an HQI model, or modded? I don't think I've ever seen a Biocube set-up that looked this good! (my BC14 certainly didn't look like this... Laughing)

Smile thank you, the RBTA was bought from another fellow TBRC (Tampa bay reef club) member and has split about 4 times already.

the corals were all frags (1-2") originally. with the exception of the big blue acro in the back right.

as many of you already know, or will soon find out, the hobby is filled with ups and downs and it's been about 3-4 years that the tank has been setup and has gone through 4 moves tease

the 50 gallon cube needs some better bulbs, everything looks really plain atm. but i will create a new thread sooner or later.

Nelson
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

pics of my 29 bio Empty
PostSubject: Re: pics of my 29 bio   pics of my 29 bio EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 9:41 pm

Sounds like the setup was done very well. Wish I would have been around to buy it :/

Did you have any fans installed on the top? What temperature did it reach?

Nick
Back to top Go down
Gimplar

Gimplar

pics of my 29 bio Empty
PostSubject: Re: pics of my 29 bio   pics of my 29 bio EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 9:46 pm

Nicholas41 wrote:
Sounds like the setup was done very well. Wish I would have been around to buy it :/

Did you have any fans installed on the top? What temperature did it reach?

Nick

:P should of been checking reefcentral!

nope, no fans or anything, the fixture hung from the ceiling and the top was completely open. my temperatures ranged from 75-80F.

back in the hay day when i had my 125gal. i had temperature issues where my temp would peak at about 85-87F. But the paradox is that all my corals did awesome and everything thrived.
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

pics of my 29 bio Empty
PostSubject: Re: pics of my 29 bio   pics of my 29 bio EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 9:48 pm

Awesome BC set-up! Sounds like you put a lot of thought (and work) into it, and you got some great results! cheers
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

pics of my 29 bio Empty
PostSubject: Re: pics of my 29 bio   pics of my 29 bio EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 9:50 pm

Sadly I wasn't lol. I had considered a 28 with a MH placed in the top but was worried about overheating issues even though it has four fans. wizard I look forward to your photos of the 50G!
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

pics of my 29 bio Empty
PostSubject: Re: pics of my 29 bio   pics of my 29 bio EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 5:17 pm

Nelson, I think it's time you posted some pics of your 50 gallon. Wink How's everything doing in the new aquarium? Question
Back to top Go down
Gimplar

Gimplar

pics of my 29 bio Empty
PostSubject: Re: pics of my 29 bio   pics of my 29 bio EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 11:25 pm

everything is stabilizing now. went through a small cycle and had some diatoms but after adding a few extra tunzes and constant water changes, it went away after a few weeks. I'd post pics, but my camera broke Sad gotta get my buddy with a SLR to come over and take some pics.

Luckly no losses due to the move, but some of my SPS were really unhappy. Everything is coloring back up Smile
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

pics of my 29 bio Empty
PostSubject: Re: pics of my 29 bio   pics of my 29 bio EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 8:03 am

Good to hear that the new aquarium is doing well! Sorry about your camera, though. You do have to post some pics ASAP! I can't wait to see how everything looks!! drool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

pics of my 29 bio Empty
PostSubject: Re: pics of my 29 bio   pics of my 29 bio Empty

Back to top Go down

pics of my 29 bio
Page 1 of 1