Aquarists at USF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum for the Aquarist Club at USF - A Community for Fishy People <')))){

PortalPortal  HomeHome  About UsAbout Us  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Register  Log in  

Ich :(

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

Ich :( Empty
PostSubject: Ich :(   Ich :( EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 5:58 pm

Had a scare this week. I added a new fish to my aquarium. He looked like he was doing fine, eating well, and everything. With the 100 gallon now, I figured I should increase my fish population from the 4 small fish that I've had for the past few years, and the McCosker's wrasse was a fish that I always wanted. Unfortunately, the wrasse broke out with ich a few days ago. I tried to catch it to treat it, but it was no use. I came to terms with the fact that the McCosker's would most likely die, but what terrified me was that I noticed a few spots of ich on my other fish. The McCosker's ended up dying, and, luckily, the ich on my other fish has completely cleared up. I've read posts with people insisting on quarantining new fish, and I've never taken it to heart. After fearing losing all of my fish this past week, I think from now on I will QT new additions. It's just not worth losing everything...

Back to top Go down
xwesx1978

xwesx1978

PostSubject: Re: Ich :(   Ich :( EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 8:18 pm

yea I need to set up a QT tank myself , it really is the smart way to go
Back to top Go down
Maestro

Maestro

PostSubject: Re: Ich :(   Ich :( EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 12:21 am

I am not sure how I feel about QT. I have seen the pros and cons to it, but something seems counter-productive with this procedure. Ich can happen from multiple issues and can occur at any point in your tank/fish's life.

I know the topic is touchy,but I believe in letting the fish be exposed and survive.
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: Ich :(   Ich :( EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 2:15 pm

My UV sterilizer does a good job at keeping ich from my fish. Something to consider trying.
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Ich :(   Ich :( EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 11:08 pm

Maestro wrote:
I am not sure how I feel about QT. I have seen the pros and cons to it, but something seems counter-productive with this procedure. Ich can happen from multiple issues and can occur at any point in your tank/fish's life.

I know the topic is touchy,but I believe in letting the fish be exposed and survive.
Yeah, definitely a controversial topic. While ich can outbreak at any time due to stressors, I rather QT a new fish and treat him for anything he might have before putting him in the main tank. That way, if the fish gets something in QT I can treat it, with the hope that once I add the new fish to the main tank, he'll be fine. If there is still some ich left in the main tank, hopefully the fish's immune system can do the rest of the work. There's no guarantee, but after last week I feel I have to give something a try...

Nicholas41 wrote:
My UV sterilizer does a good job at keeping ich from my fish. Something to consider trying.
I've actually been considering getting one. Thanks for the reminder Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ich :(   Ich :( Empty

Back to top Go down

Ich :(
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Aquarists at USF :: Technical Discussion :: Fish Disease-
Jump to: