Aquarists at USF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum for the Aquarist Club at USF - A Community for Fishy People <')))){

PortalPortal  HomeHome  About UsAbout Us  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Register  Log in  

Friend needs help - Freshwater

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Iceelover

Iceelover

Friend needs help - Freshwater Empty
PostSubject: Friend needs help - Freshwater   Friend needs help - Freshwater EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 6:06 pm

So my friend in Orlando contacted me the other day saying her boyfriend is wanting to start a tank and thought I might be able to help him navigate the intro. I can definitely help him with some aspects, but my knowledge on freshwater fish is limited. Can you guys help me reccommend which fish will not kill each other and will be decent for a beginner?

After a short talk I found out: When he was little, he had a goldfish in a bowl. He doesn't want anything so "boring" so he's looking to get a tank to put some interesting, colorful fish in.
By his estimation of tank dimensions, he's probably looking for a 10 gallon.
He says he's bored and he thinks if he had something to take care of, he would probably take good care of it. I've heard his girlfriend complain about how disasterous his apartment is, so Im thinking a low maintenance start up would be best, just so he can see what all it really takes, and then he can get more interesting things later if he wants.
I asked if he wanted plants, and he wasnt sure. If you guys know of any super easy plants or a substitute just so his fish have more than a lighthouse deco, any suggestions are welcome.
I expect it would have a large pebble-y/gravel in the bottom.

I tried to explain to him that his tank size will mostly determine what fish and how many fish he can have. And after that, what fish he has will determine what other fish he can have. He said he didn't even think about problems with fish combinations.

I've been scouting on liveaquaria, and comments are encouraged as well as reccommendation on other fish/animals I didnt mention.
Boesemani Rainbow (Melanotaenia boesemani) supposedly a schooling fish and needs 30 gallons, but could he just own one? Or does it still need 30 gallons
Green Cobra Guppy (Poecilia reticulata) 20 gal. reccommended "very tolerant of changing tank conditions"
Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon innesi) very colorful, very small, 10 gallon reccommendation, likes to school.
Endler's Livebearer (Poecilia sp.) 20 gal. reccommended "very tolerant of changing conditions"
Golden Dream Panchax Killifish (Pachypanchax playfairi) 20 gal. reccommended "ideal for community aquariums" "vibrant color" "not demanding and can adapt to a cariety of water conditions"
Glofish - obviously colorful, small and able to school in a 10 gallon
Dwarf Puffer - Dan's was really cute, but I don't know if they are easy or hard. Supposedly, they can be mean?
Dan, do you think he could do those little cherry shrimps easily enough?
A cleaning fish, like a pleco or something? Just in case he's busier than he thought?

Thanks guys, any help is much appreciated! study
Back to top Go down
loganjonathan

loganjonathan

PostSubject: Re: Friend needs help - Freshwater   Friend needs help - Freshwater EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 6:11 pm

ive got a 10 gallon u want it ill give it to you for 5 if you want ashley
Back to top Go down
Iceelover

Iceelover

PostSubject: Re: Friend needs help - Freshwater   Friend needs help - Freshwater EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 6:27 pm

Well I live in pensacola (in the Fl panhandle by Alabama) but he lives in Orlando. Maybe we can arange something?
Back to top Go down
loganjonathan

loganjonathan

PostSubject: Re: Friend needs help - Freshwater   Friend needs help - Freshwater EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 6:39 pm

ok works just pm me and we ca work out something
Back to top Go down
Farfromfiji

Farfromfiji

PostSubject: Re: Friend needs help - Freshwater   Friend needs help - Freshwater EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 8:01 pm

Hey Ashley,

I am SO glad I did the dwarf puffer, their personalities are just awesome. They will be aggressive to most other fish though. It will get along with cherry shrimps as long as they are big enough. My cherry shrimps have also been really cool, they control their own population which makes them super easy.

If he wants to do puffers my recommendation would be 2 for 10g, some cherry shrimps, some algae eaters (mine's been fine with otocinclus) plants or decorations of some kind. You may be able to get away with 3 puffers if the tank is planted enough.

Some easy plants might be anubias, java moss, or dwarf sagitarrius. I also really like the "parsley plant" I have in my pico, that's grown really well and I can always spare some extra.
Back to top Go down
loganjonathan

loganjonathan

PostSubject: Re: Friend needs help - Freshwater   Friend needs help - Freshwater EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 8:29 am

that the way to do that kind of tank
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: Friend needs help - Freshwater   Friend needs help - Freshwater EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 8:51 pm

I have some fast growers but they may not be so great for a 10 gallon unless they want a forest Smile

I wish I hadn't just given away the bulk of my plants a week or so ago

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Friend needs help - Freshwater   Friend needs help - Freshwater Empty

Back to top Go down

Friend needs help - Freshwater
Page 1 of 1