Aquarists at USF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum for the Aquarist Club at USF - A Community for Fishy People <')))){

PortalPortal  HomeHome  About UsAbout Us  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Register  Log in  

DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup!

Go down 
+2
Sam_G
Dgolden
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dgolden

Dgolden

DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! Empty
PostSubject: DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup!   DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 12:24 am

So I've been wanting to do this project for FOREVER!!!!! I've been growing different kinds of mosses in glass cups and bowls for MONTHS and I kept putting it off and tonight I said ok I've got an extra 20 minutes let me stop by that evil empire land WALMART so I can put my evil plan to work!!!!

Anyway, here's a list and a project total and materials!
4 x 6 Quart clear storage bins - .97 each -- 3.88
2 x Clip On Desk Lamps - 7.97 each -- 15.94
1 x 4 pack DAYLIGHT GE CFL bulbs -- 7.00
1 x 25' Airtubing (mine was all dry Sad ) -- 3.12 (BTW $3.12 most random price ever seen at walmart...)
1 x 2 pack Airline T Valve (I only had one...) -- 1.38
1 x 4 pack of Airstones (had them already but got them from petco -- $1.58 (on sale)
1 x 40 Gallon rated air pump -- NO IDEA I've got airpumps out the ear somehow.... -- $9.99 (lets estimate this)
1 x space -- Priceless Smile
----------------
Total (not including sales tax) - $42.89 (price to expect all new parts), $31.32

Here's the space before:
DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! 114

Here's most of the materials in one place
DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! 213

Initial Placement
DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! 313

Lights Off
DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! 412

Lights On
DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! 510

Airstones working properly (These will be on at night to provide circulation to keep water from getting stagnet (I may switch and have them on all day not sure this is a work in progress)
DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! 710

Lights on with Airstone off
DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! 610

And BAM now you've got a moss growing setup, well we'll see how the setup goes here in a few weeks.

Current Settings/Water
The water comes from my 55 Gallon tank while the CO2 is indicating Green. I'm planning on swapping out the water every day or every other day and I'm hoping for the best with not getting algae.
Light will be on the same timer as my 55 Gallon tank. (8 hours daily)
Air pumps will run when the lights are off.

Let me know what you think! Comments and suggestions are always welcome!
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup!   DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 10:04 am

Checked in this morning with the setup and so far so good, if all goes to plan this could be a door opener for a bigger project with the moss (and another idea that my mind is grinding away on) start supplying LFS and trading for store credit...It's a master plan I tell you a master plan!
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup!   DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 10:33 am

Very nice, Drew! Keep us updated!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup!   DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 10:36 am

I'll be sure to, the lady was looking at me like I was insane at Wal*Mart last night when I came through, she prolly thinks that I'm growing ellicit things LOL (well it is Port Richey)

I still couldn't believe how cheap the bins were though I mean 97 cents such a deal for us thrifty students Smile
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup!   DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 10:43 am

lol Yeah, I know what you mean. Publix employees look at me like I'm crazy when I check out with 4 huge jugs of vinegar.
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup!   DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 11:13 am

Lol do you buy it with your normal groceries or just by itself
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup!   DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 2:50 pm

Typically by itself. I'll be sitting in class thinking, "Oh yeah, I really need to clean my skimmer and powerheads. Oh, crap, I don't have any vinegar." And, then I run to Publix on the way home and buy a ton of vinegar. You should also see the looks when I buy the stuff for our meetings. The cashiers always look at me like, "This girl must really love goldfish and capri suns..." Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup!   DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 3:23 pm

Mmmmm goldfish and Capri sun! You should hit up the same cashier every time
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup!   DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 10:27 pm

So I did some organizational work tonight....

I have a few more things that I am going to be adding for the experimentation here most of which will be on 2x2 mesh (just to keep things organized) although some I will leave out free floating to see how that works Smile

DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! 56874659
Mystery Moss | Mixed Moss | 2 x Weeping Moss 2x2, 1 x Xmas Moss 2x2 | Xmas Moss

Mystery Moss - We're getting closer to identification but I will see if it continues to blow up it's already greened up a lot today

Mixed Moss - Combination of Xmas, Java, Weeping, Mystery, Fissidens ... if it's a moss I have a small piece of it has to be in there

Other mosses are self explanitory Smile

Currently swapping out water daily once at the height of my CO2/Photoperiod in my 55 Gallon which is also ferted.

I will probably have one more update later this week then we will let it sit for a while to see what happens Smile

-------

Wondering if from this point on I should move this into a tank journal or leave it here for the results every week
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup!   DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 7:43 am

Looking good! Smile I'd leave it all in this thread instead of making a separate build thread (considering it's not really a new tank, and anyone wanting to do this DIY would probably find it helpful to have all of the info in the same place).
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup!   DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 8:13 am

Thanks! Yea if this goes well I'll more than likely be expanding the setup Smile but we shall see
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup!   DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 9:14 pm

OK so Final testing setup and then it'll be no pictures for a while

Final Setup of the mosses is below under the first picture.

Future Ideas (prolly soon):
*Add one more desk lamp (I just thinking the way the lights are angled, etc... one more light may be better)
*Making plans for a more larger scale setup if this works well

Here's the total overall shot:
DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! 1010
Mystery Moss | Subwassertang | 2x Weeping Moss 2x2, 2 x Fissidens, 1x Flame Moss 2x2 | 2x 2x2 xmas moss, 1x cholla xmas, free floating

Mystery Moss: I will figure out what it is when it fills out it seems a bit under lighted
DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! 1410

Subwassertang - Doing free floating for now I will eventually figure out stuff to tie it to -- maybe
DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! 1311

Weeping Moss (Top), Fissidens (Middle), Flame Moss (Bottom) Note how you can pick up the dark corner from being in between the two lights (far outside)
DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! 1210

2x2 Xmas Moss (Top). Free Floating (Middle Right), Cholla (Bottom Left), Rock holding other cholla down
DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! 1110

Thanks for stopping by! This will be the last update for at least a week maybe a few wanna let it settle...unless of course I get some explosive growth Smile
Back to top Go down
Farfromfiji

Farfromfiji

PostSubject: Re: DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup!   DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 9:19 am

I missed the original posting of this. Very cool set up Drew! I look forward to seeing what you can produce!
Back to top Go down
mangoman

mangoman

PostSubject: Re: DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup!   DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 11:25 pm

I like the subwassertang Smile

very nice setup! wish coral propagation was that easy tease
Yeah the lights look a lil far apart but i know nothing bout algae light requirements. Very clean look!
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup!   DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 11:31 pm

Thanks Be sure to stay tuned I will be updating it (just not right away)

Yea I'm excited about the subwassertang, it's my first time messing with it. I've been eyeing the light coverage and will be stopping on the way home to pick up another light, at least I will feel better even though I might be over lighting it.

-----

One thing I haven't mentioned the temps of the water are staying pretty level with room temp even with the lights that close, wow those CFL's are awesome!!!
Back to top Go down
mangoman

mangoman

PostSubject: Re: DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup!   DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 12:03 pm

Kinda wish I had a freshwater planeted setup Sad

I do have an fluval chi sitting here.. hmmmm
Back to top Go down
xwesx1978

xwesx1978

PostSubject: Re: DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup!   DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 1:37 pm

are you dosing any ferts ? I bet A DIY CO2 system would really up your growth rates
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup!   DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 8:04 pm

mangoman wrote:

Do it, do it!!! headbanger
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup!   DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 8:36 pm

xwesx1978 wrote:
are you dosing any ferts ? I bet A DIY CO2 system would really up your growth rates

The ferts come from my 55 gallon which gets liquid ferts (flourish) as well as root tabs and other goodies in the substrate. I also once a day add 1-2 drops of Excel (liquid carbon) and one drop of the Flourish.

If this goes well I am planning on doing a more "organized" setup and incorporating CO2 and some type of filtration so I don't have to change these every day mr. green

Sam_G wrote:
mangoman wrote:

Do it, do it!!! headbanger

I'm with Sam it could be fun!!!!!

Back to top Go down
mangoman

mangoman

PostSubject: Re: DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup!   DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 10:10 pm

I'll look into it Smile

gotta fine a better light, and filter possibly.
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup!   DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 9:05 am

Update...no pictures:

Some of the mosses have been congregating at the airstone not quite sure why but it's also not flowing back out to take over the surface area like I would expect/like it to do.

Anyone have any suggestions ?
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup!   DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 2:38 pm

I will be having a massive update here soon (I'm working on plans right now) updates will come after the semester, it's just these last two weeks are insanity.

I've got stuff on order from Asia (I know but $1 with free shipping or $4 with $3 shipping) when you're buying more than a dozen it gets hard to spend that much when I can wait for a few weeks LOL

The setup has been doing well I've actually trimmed/sold from there twice now and am getting ready for another round here soon. Pictures to come soon...Promise!
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup!   DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 4:09 pm

I've had some good luck and have tweaked and expanded the setup a bit Smile  I'll post some pictures when I get around to it.  Today is my only day off and I have so much to do LOL
Back to top Go down
loganjonathan

loganjonathan

PostSubject: Re: DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup!   DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 7:30 pm

let the pics be revealed LOL
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup!   DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 7:32 pm

Lol they're coming when I get done time I was tweaking it more again yesteryear
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup!   DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup! Empty

Back to top Go down

DIY Moss/Small plant Growing Setup!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next