A Forum for the Aquarist Club at USF - A Community for Fishy People <')))){

PortalPortal  HomeHome  About UsAbout Us  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  Register  Log in  

Share | 

Is there a way to dechlorinate water without buying drops?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
meghan11

PostSubject: Is there a way to dechlorinate water without buying drops?   Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:55 pm

I am setting up my first tank and everything is here but the water and fish. I was told that letting my tap water sit out for 24 hours breaks down all the chlorine. Is it safe?
Back to top Go down
mangoman

PostSubject: Re: Is there a way to dechlorinate water without buying drops?   Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:45 pm

If I was going that route, i'd wait 3 days before I put it in. but that's just me. I would just invest in an RO unit. You can find one used for less than $100 and only replace filters every year or two depending on how big your tank is. Produces very pure water and you don't have anything worry about. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Is there a way to dechlorinate water without buying drops?   Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:21 pm

If you let the water stand, over time the chlorine will break down. However, I agree with Eric that it's best to wait more than 24 hours to be safe.

Founder and Former President of the Aquarist Club at USF

100 Gallon Mixed Reef Aquarium

47 Gallon Macroalgae DT
Back to top Go down
loganjonathan

PostSubject: Re: Is there a way to dechlorinate water without buying drops?   Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:44 am

there are three ways you can declorinate water without buying drops
1. leave it out for a couple of days
2. buy a ro system
3. go to a glacier bay water machine and fill up there its not expensive its a $1.50 for 5 gallons
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: Is there a way to dechlorinate water without buying drops?   Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:23 am

Some LFS also offer water as well
Back to top Go down
loganjonathan

PostSubject: Re: Is there a way to dechlorinate water without buying drops?   Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:25 am

i wouldnt buy that cause 90% of the time its not made for a reef tank and it doesnt always have the right kind of parimeters like it should its better to buy a ro system and do it yourself
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is there a way to dechlorinate water without buying drops?   Today at 5:15 pm

Back to top Go down

Is there a way to dechlorinate water without buying drops?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1