Aquarists at USF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum for the Aquarist Club at USF - A Community for Fishy People <')))){

PortalPortal  HomeHome  About UsAbout Us  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Register  Log in  

Dan's Planted 3g Pico

Go down 
+4
Nicholas41
Sam_G
mangoman
Farfromfiji
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Farfromfiji

Farfromfiji

Dan's Planted 3g Pico Empty
PostSubject: Dan's Planted 3g Pico   Dan's Planted 3g Pico EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 7:32 pm

Yeah that's right... it's up. As of friday the 8th I had my pico set up and cycling. No fish yet of course but here's a sneak preview From Day 1:
Dan's Planted 3g Pico IMG_0874
50/50 9W bulb with clip-on light, Pico Filter setup, 1-1/2"-2" fluorite, 1/4-1/2" Black Gravel
Back to top Go down
mangoman

mangoman

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Planted 3g Pico   Dan's Planted 3g Pico EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 11:29 pm

thats awesome. gonna look cool when full of stuff! Smile

it actually on your desk?
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Planted 3g Pico   Dan's Planted 3g Pico EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 12:38 am

So cool! excited I can't wait to see how it turns out in the end!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Farfromfiji

Farfromfiji

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Planted 3g Pico   Dan's Planted 3g Pico EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 5:51 pm

mangoman wrote:
thats awesome. gonna look cool when full of stuff! Smile

it actually on your desk?
Yup, well sorta... it's my dresser.

Ok, here's Day 2:
Dan's Planted 3g Pico IMG_0884
Above you will see: Driftwood (perfect size for my tank Very Happy), River Rocks, collected from Maryland, Java Moss Looking forward to seeing how this grows in, A Japanese Moss Ball (Very excited about this fella, he is much dirtier now than he was in this picture and I'm not sure if I should try and clean him off),An Anubias on the driftwood (the fishies were picking on it at Marine warehouse, is doing very well so far),Cabomba Yeah, this was a mistake. It's very pretty and I wish it had done well, but as I have now read, Cabomba does best in higlighting larger tanks where it can grow short and strong (in low lighting small tanks like mine it grows tall and weak. Mine fell apart due to water movement and made a big mess. I'll replace it with something else and post pictures up when I do. For now here are a few more pics with the Cabomba:

Dan's Planted 3g Pico IMG_0891
Dan's Planted 3g Pico IMG_0917
Don't you just see a monkey holding up a baby lion here?

Dan's Planted 3g Pico IMG_0906
Ripples are from my filter's output, the surface looks a little murkier now.

Dan's Planted 3g Pico IMG_0877
Lighting looks different without flash, more like the actual aquarium's lighting.
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Planted 3g Pico   Dan's Planted 3g Pico EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 7:33 pm

Wow Dan it looks great! Very Happy

I love how it's turning out, I'm going to have to come and see it in person!
Back to top Go down
Iceelover

Iceelover

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Planted 3g Pico   Dan's Planted 3g Pico EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 12:53 am

Nice setup! I love the layout Smile
Back to top Go down
Farfromfiji

Farfromfiji

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Planted 3g Pico   Dan's Planted 3g Pico EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 9:38 am

Thanks guys, will update this soon!
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Planted 3g Pico   Dan's Planted 3g Pico EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 11:00 am

LOVE it! Very Happy

Sucks that the cabomba didn't work out, but it looks great! Like the "Pride Rock" look! Wink
Back to top Go down
Farfromfiji

Farfromfiji

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Planted 3g Pico   Dan's Planted 3g Pico EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 11:41 pm

Update. Nicholas was kind enough to donate a nano heater but unfortunately it couldn't regulate temperature so I have replaced it since the photos. You will also notice the Black gravel is mixing with the Fluorite in some places, I'm glad it doesn't look bad Wink. Here are new plants from last weekend:

Dan's Planted 3g Pico IMG_0998
The New BG plants are hygrophila aka, the parsley plant or the mini bamboo; Sunset Hygrophila beautiful purple leafed stem plant; Auria Lily pad shaped leaf plant. All of which are doing really well after a week in my pico. Hoping to keep my eyes open for a good FG plant. Not sure what yet.

Some more assorted pictures of the plants and the tank in general:

Dan's Planted 3g Pico IMG_0996

Dan's Planted 3g Pico IMG_0963

Dan's Planted 3g Pico IMG_0991

Dan's Planted 3g Pico IMG_0953
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Planted 3g Pico   Dan's Planted 3g Pico EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 10:43 am

Beautiful! cheers
Back to top Go down
Farfromfiji

Farfromfiji

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Planted 3g Pico   Dan's Planted 3g Pico EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 5:15 pm

Thanks! A big thanks however to Don ("WhySoSerious?") for his kind donation of 5 red cherry shrimp and a little Dwarf Sagittaria. I will post pictures of these and some other new specimens soon!
Back to top Go down
mangoman

mangoman

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Planted 3g Pico   Dan's Planted 3g Pico EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 9:45 pm

Loooking gooood Smile
Back to top Go down
Farfromfiji

Farfromfiji

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Planted 3g Pico   Dan's Planted 3g Pico EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 8:02 pm

Update! Some of its inhabitants:
I got a Dwarf Puffer and a Bumblebee Goby two weeks ago.

Dan's Planted 3g Pico IMG_0934

I was nervous to post them, lest they not survive. I had no way to know if the tank was cycled or not, they also were not eating until just a few days ago! (Now they are little pigs).

Say Hello to:
Dwarf puffer, He has such a personality! He flutters like a hummingbird, taking in every minute pebble and strand of algae with two huge eyes and greeting me whenever I walk up to the tank with a perpetual smile. He took the longest to eat, but in the end he began schnarfing some frozen brine shrimp.

Dan's Planted 3g Pico IMG_1117

Dan's Planted 3g Pico IMG_1078

Dan's Planted 3g Pico IMG_1076

Bumblebee Goby You should see why he's called a bumblebee goby, very cool little fish, with a personality as well. He perches like any other goby and for some reason really likes my heater swimming loopdiloops behind it. Getting along great with everyone as well, despite his goby grumpy face. Paul mentioned that he gets his yellow color in really well when he's happiest.

Dan's Planted 3g Pico IMG_1093

Goby’s hideout

Dan's Planted 3g Pico IMG_1089

Last weekend I got Otto the Otocinclus, as well as a few Red Cherry Shrimp (As of today I have only spotted one (I’m not sure if puffer or goby ate the smaller ones)

Say Hello to:
Otto the Otocinclus, He’s doing great despite a scare where he was stuck to my net for nearly five minutes eventually having to cut him free with a little bit of net (it has since fallen off of his nose). Goby likes to swim with him when he’s cleaning the side of the tank, which is fun to watch.

Dan's Planted 3g Pico IMG_1126

Mr. Shrimp the Red Cherry Shrimp. As of yet, no sign of Mrs. Shrimp or their children.

Dan's Planted 3g Pico IMG_1118
Back to top Go down
mangoman

mangoman

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Planted 3g Pico   Dan's Planted 3g Pico EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 4:24 pm

love the dwarf puffer! puffers are always smiliey Smile

how bright is that light?
Back to top Go down
Farfromfiji

Farfromfiji

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Planted 3g Pico   Dan's Planted 3g Pico EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 8:03 pm

I think the fluorescent portion of the light is a 9W bulb. The 50/50 lights the tank up pretty well though, I like the way it colors everything. It casts plenty of shadows though. The above pictures were taken without flash so that is pretty close to how it looks.
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Planted 3g Pico   Dan's Planted 3g Pico EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 11:25 am

Nice pics! cheers Love the new fish and shrimp! They're great additions! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Farfromfiji

Farfromfiji

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Planted 3g Pico   Dan's Planted 3g Pico EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 11:53 am

Thanks! I've seen Mister Shrimp a few more times since then chowing down on fish poo or uneaten food Wink
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Planted 3g Pico   Dan's Planted 3g Pico EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 6:06 pm

Sweet picks on the fish! That bumblebee goby is too cool! I've never seen one in stores before.
Back to top Go down
Farfromfiji

Farfromfiji

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Planted 3g Pico   Dan's Planted 3g Pico EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 6:45 pm

Thanks! It's easy to get pics of the puffer as he's so social. The Bumblebee on the other hand is a little skittish, so getting a good picture of him will be harder.
Back to top Go down
Farfromfiji

Farfromfiji

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Planted 3g Pico   Dan's Planted 3g Pico EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 7:04 pm

Mrs. Shrimp made an appearance, as an added treat she was posing with Mr. Shrimp while they had their dinner this evening.

Dan's Planted 3g Pico MrsShrimp
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Planted 3g Pico   Dan's Planted 3g Pico EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 9:58 pm

Sooooooo cute! mr. green
Back to top Go down
Iceelover

Iceelover

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Planted 3g Pico   Dan's Planted 3g Pico EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 7:59 pm

AAAHHHH I love puffers!!! love 2 They're so cute Smile And the goby does have really bright coloring! Looking at all the pictures, I forget it's only 3g. It looks so much bigger hahaha
Back to top Go down
Farfromfiji

Farfromfiji

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Planted 3g Pico   Dan's Planted 3g Pico EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 7:07 pm

Thanks for the replies guys! Unfortunately my bumblebee goby is missing and I am ready to give up looking for him. It's been over a week since he disappeared. I wouldn't worry as much if he hadn't been active and eating for weeks beforehand Sad.

On a brighter note I've seen as many as five shrimp out at once in the past week or so, they have become much more social and scurry around almost anywhere, often times freaking my puffer out tease

Who knows, maybe bumblebee will turn up somewhere but I am becoming more doubtful with every day. The lil' bugger had to grow on me! bye
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Planted 3g Pico   Dan's Planted 3g Pico EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 11:47 pm

I still need to stop by and take a look at the tank, maybe later on this week Very Happy

Farfromfiji wrote:
The lil' bugger had to grow on me! bye

Not to sound grim, but one thing I do enjoy about fish is that they all look very similar and most have nearly identical behaviors! Still though, best of luck. It stinks when a fish goes missing. faint
Back to top Go down
Farfromfiji

Farfromfiji

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Planted 3g Pico   Dan's Planted 3g Pico EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 8:49 am

Yes, so perhaps another bumblebee Goby is in my future. Wink We'll see. Maybe something else.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Planted 3g Pico   Dan's Planted 3g Pico Empty

Back to top Go down

Dan's Planted 3g Pico
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next