A Forum for the Aquarist Club at USF - A Community for Fishy People <')))){

PortalPortal  HomeHome  About UsAbout Us  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  Register  Log in  

Share | 

Using Baking Soda to Alter pH/Alkalinity

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Iceelover

PostSubject: Using Baking Soda to Alter pH/Alkalinity   Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:16 pm

I'm finally caving and want to start adding baked Baking Soda to my tank to try to raise my pH. I've learned there isn't really a method that will raise my pH and NOT my Alk, so Im just going to hope my Alk doesnt hit the roof. Since some of you have had experience with Baking Soda in the past, I thought I would start a thread for anyone else contemplating the idea.

Sam_G was nice enough to offer this site which helps calculate how much you need to use: http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html
If anyone else has experience (or not), thoughts, ideas, and advice are always welcome.

As a reference, Im posting my levels and I guess I'll update it as things progress (if they progress). I might even post a picture if I get good coraline growth (since Im thinking the low pH is preventing coraline growth/keeping my calcium high) or happier corals/fish.
Starting levels:
pH: 7.8-7.9
Alk (KH): 197 ppm
Calcium: 560 ppm

Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Using Baking Soda to Alter pH/Alkalinity   Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:17 pm

Good thread! Hope this helps your pH issue! fingers-crossed

The only advice that I have is to keep the baking soda that you use fresh. I keep mine in a sealed plastic can so that moisture or anything else doesn't contaminate it. A ziploc bag or tupperware container would work fine.

Founder and Former President of the Aquarist Club at USF

100 Gallon Mixed Reef Aquarium

47 Gallon Macroalgae DT
Back to top Go down
AshleyG

PostSubject: Re: Using Baking Soda to Alter pH/Alkalinity   Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:34 am

fresh baking soda for sure. also add small doses at a time, of course. since i only have a 20gal as my largest tank, a teaspoon per day or so is enough for me to see the adjustments without stressing my fish out!
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Using Baking Soda to Alter pH/Alkalinity   Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:46 pm

AshleyG wrote:
...also add small doses at a time, of course.

+1

47 Gallon Macroalgae DT
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: Using Baking Soda to Alter pH/Alkalinity   Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:32 pm

Baking soda did the trick on my 27 when it was needed.

PostSubject: Re: Using Baking Soda to Alter pH/Alkalinity   Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:03 am

So I've done a few doses and watched my pH for a little over a week now, and i've seen NOTHING. No change except a slightly higher alk.

I didn't want to shock anybody with a drastic change over a week, but I did expect it to be at least 8.0 by now. At first I did 1 teaspoon in a gallon of freshwater, 4 days later I did a teaspoon in a quart of freshwater. Each time there was no effect. Today I did about a tablespoon in a quart of saltwater and we'll see how that goes.

Im afraid if I do my regular water change, it will mess everything up, but if I dont.... it could mess everything up. lol. I dont think anything will die if I miss a waterchange but at the same time, I AM still quabbling with a small patch of hair algae.

Im worried I might not be accounting for something that's going to make me feel dumb when I realize what it is. Should I have taken my Carbon out? would that absorb it? Is my live rock absorbing it? Can anything even "absorb" pH?
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Using Baking Soda to Alter pH/Alkalinity   Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:16 am

That doesn't make a lot of sense. I would do the WC anyway. The WC will help bring up the pH as it is, because the salt should mix at a pH of 8.0 - 8.2. I'm not a chemistry expert, but nothing is going to "absorb" pH. The baking soda should dissolve in the water and increase your alkalinity (or carbonate hardness) and then corals and inverts will use this to make their skeletons.

47 Gallon Macroalgae DT
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Using Baking Soda to Alter pH/Alkalinity   Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:25 am

I had a problem with low pH at my dorm. It was the result of low oxygen levels in the aquarium. You may want to check for that. I found that the oxygen concentration in my dorm was low and CO2 levels were high. I started opening my dorm window (next to the aquarium) and that helped.

47 Gallon Macroalgae DT
Back to top Go down
Iceelover

PostSubject: Re: Using Baking Soda to Alter pH/Alkalinity   Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:32 am

The only invert that would use up CaCO3 would be my sun coral, which Im 99% sure is dying because he hasn't come out to eat since before my emeral crab died. There's go to be something wrong with the levels of SOMETHING. Im not even getting coraline algae anymore, and that LOVES to grow on my glass. Maybe a larger WC than usual is called for?

I had heard it could be the air in the room, but I *rarely* like the temp outside (though yesterday was nice) so my window isnt usually open. Maybe I'll open in tomorrow and Friday before the WC to see any effect.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Using Baking Soda to Alter pH/Alkalinity   Today at 6:53 am

Back to top Go down

Using Baking Soda to Alter pH/Alkalinity
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1