Aquarists at USF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum for the Aquarist Club at USF - A Community for Fishy People <')))){

PortalPortal  HomeHome  About UsAbout Us  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Register  Log in  

What algae should I feed a Tailspot Blenny?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

What algae should I feed a Tailspot Blenny? Empty
PostSubject: What algae should I feed a Tailspot Blenny?   What algae should I feed a Tailspot Blenny? EmptyFri Nov 25, 2011 4:34 pm

I lost a tailspot blenny a bit back due to unexplained causes. It was brought to my attention that it might have been because I didn't feed him enough algae. I didn't think that this caused his death because I feed a variety of frozen food, some of which are herbivore-based. However, I've noticed that the belly on my new tailspot blenny is protruding, and I'm worried that maybe the frozen food isn't enough. I know some people put in algae sheets for tangs to feed on. Does this work for blennies as well? Are there macros that I could add for him? Any ideas would be appreciated!
thanks
Back to top Go down
Iceelover

Iceelover

PostSubject: Re: What algae should I feed a Tailspot Blenny?   What algae should I feed a Tailspot Blenny? EmptyFri Nov 25, 2011 9:49 pm

From what I hear, those fish are rather picky when it comes to eating, so props that you're getting him to eat. Since it's a herbivore, I hear a high protein diet can cause issues for them. No one's really explained it to me, but I assume it's related to constipation/blockage of some sort. You cant really stop him from devouring omnivorous or carnivorous foods you put in there, but maybe making sure there's always a greener option for him will sway him?

I hear they are difficult to get to eat algea, but some people have had success with Nori (It's cheap at asian markets or you can get it from an Aquarium store, so for a quick experiment you could try that. If it doesnt work, you can practice making rice rolls Very Happy ) I know a tang and a rabbitfish that used to fish over Nori day and night, but neither of those are blennies, so... irrelevent. I haven't heard of a macro that any herbivore will go crazy for, but there's a food called Spectrum out there that I hear is great for difficult to feed fish (though yours seems to love food). I dont know how expensive it is though.

I could also be a parasite that took over your last blenny and left its mark in your tank. I would watch your other fish just in case, especially those who spend a lot of time attempting to feed off the rocks and might be more suseptible to picking up a parastie.
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: What algae should I feed a Tailspot Blenny?   What algae should I feed a Tailspot Blenny? EmptyFri Nov 25, 2011 10:28 pm

I'm trying find some kind of algae for him. I don't think it's a parasite. The other fish are fine, and the blenny is acting normal (and looks normal) other than the fact that his belly is enormous. I've heard of Nori, and that might work. I think I'll go hunting for something tomorrow...

Thanks, Ashley!

Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: What algae should I feed a Tailspot Blenny?   What algae should I feed a Tailspot Blenny? EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 10:49 pm

I tried feeding red gracilaria to him yesterday (it was all I had on hand). The blenny ignored it.

Today, my ever-so-kind-brother bought me some algae sheets to try out. I put a bit in the 50 gallon. The blenny swam around it, staring at it, but didn't try it. Later this evening, I saw him take a nibble, but then he spitted it back out. Maybe he'll come around tomorrow... Neutral
Back to top Go down
AshleyG

AshleyG

PostSubject: Re: What algae should I feed a Tailspot Blenny?   What algae should I feed a Tailspot Blenny? EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 7:38 pm

Here is hoping he comes around. I saw a website that suggested soaking it in garlic..?? I have no idea what this does, I'll leave that to you salties to know better about!
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: What algae should I feed a Tailspot Blenny?   What algae should I feed a Tailspot Blenny? EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 10:43 pm

The algae sheet that I bought is already made with garlic in it (it attracts fish and is good for their immune system).

I did have better luck today...I think. I saw the blenny nibble at the algae sheet, but I couldn't tell if he was spitting it back out. I think he was eating it, though. Funny enough, my clownfish Sydney actually was the one eating most of it. Hopefully, Waldo was eating. His belly looks better today. Keeping my fingers crossed...
Back to top Go down
AshleyG

AshleyG

PostSubject: Re: What algae should I feed a Tailspot Blenny?   What algae should I feed a Tailspot Blenny? EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 9:40 am

Interesting that it attracts fish! It's bad for birds so I don't think much of feeding it to other critters besides myself Smile

Hopefully he is eating it. I know in bettas, they can get bloated when people feed them cheap food that constipates them.. feed them a pea and they'll go right back to normal. I wonder if that's what you are seeing in Waldo, only because of fiber issues, not quality Smile I hope he starts eating more, I'm rooting for him!
Back to top Go down
mangoman

mangoman

PostSubject: Re: What algae should I feed a Tailspot Blenny?   What algae should I feed a Tailspot Blenny? EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 2:15 pm

My lawnmower blenny loves the dried nori! Just let the nori soak in a cup for a few minutes so its nice and soft and flakes off a little. They don't like to rip into like some fish do. He seems to only like to eat tiny pieces..

I dont' think not feeding nori would cause him to die though..
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: What algae should I feed a Tailspot Blenny?   What algae should I feed a Tailspot Blenny? EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 11:45 pm

I added another bit of algae sheet this afternoon. All of the fish (except Goby) came to nibble on it this time! My blenny, wrasse, and female clownfish seem to love it! And, Waldo's belly looks better. Smile
Back to top Go down
mangoman

mangoman

PostSubject: Re: What algae should I feed a Tailspot Blenny?   What algae should I feed a Tailspot Blenny? EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 11:24 am

Yay! Smile

glad he looks better. Pictures would be nice(:
Back to top Go down
AshleyG

AshleyG

PostSubject: Re: What algae should I feed a Tailspot Blenny?   What algae should I feed a Tailspot Blenny? EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 5:07 pm

Good! Hopefully Waldo continues to look good for years to come, too Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What algae should I feed a Tailspot Blenny?   What algae should I feed a Tailspot Blenny? Empty

Back to top Go down

What algae should I feed a Tailspot Blenny?
Page 1 of 1