Aquarists at USF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum for the Aquarist Club at USF - A Community for Fishy People <')))){

PortalPortal  HomeHome  About UsAbout Us  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Register  Log in  

Enlarged rib cage?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

Enlarged rib cage? Empty
PostSubject: Enlarged rib cage?   Enlarged rib cage? EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 12:46 pm

Well, if you've read my last post on my 50 Gallon Showcase thread, you know my little tailspot blenny is gone. Up until his disappearance (and assumed death), he seemed to be swimming and eating like normal. It's possible he died from old age; he was the biggest tailspot I've ever seen. It's also possible an emerald crab or something grabbed him, I suppose. However, I noticed in the past week and a half that it looked like his rib cage was showing. Not showing as in he was emaciated (as I said he was eating fine), but it looked like his rib cage was enlarged. I'm by no means an expert on fish diseases, and was wondering if anyone knew of a fish disease in which the rib cage might enlarge. A similar thing happened to my dog a few years back. She had an enlarged heart and her ribs got like this before she died. My other fish seem fine, so I'm not concerned. I just would like to know if Waldo maybe had a disease of some sort...
Back to top Go down
AshleyG

AshleyG

Enlarged rib cage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enlarged rib cage?   Enlarged rib cage? EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 6:45 pm

Not bloat/dropsy?

I've heard diet can be an issue with blennies, if they don't get enough greens they stop up and eventually die from internal blockage! But I think that would just cause the belly/gut to enlarge, again not effecting the ribcage much

Hmmm Sad
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

Enlarged rib cage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enlarged rib cage?   Enlarged rib cage? EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 6:58 pm

No his scales weren't ruffled, it didn't look like dropsy bloating, just rib cage expansion. I know it sounds weird. I hadn't heard that about blennies getting stopped up w/o enough greens. I did feed Waldo plenty of greens, though. I switch my foods between brine, mysis, squid, and greens everyday to give the fish something fresh.
Back to top Go down
AshleyG

AshleyG

Enlarged rib cage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enlarged rib cage?   Enlarged rib cage? EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 4:45 pm

Mmmm no other guesses? Question

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Enlarged rib cage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enlarged rib cage?   Enlarged rib cage? Empty

Back to top Go down

Enlarged rib cage?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Aquarists at USF :: Technical Discussion :: Fish Disease-
Jump to: