Aquarists at USF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum for the Aquarist Club at USF - A Community for Fishy People <')))){

PortalPortal  HomeHome  About UsAbout Us  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Register  Log in  

DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors Empty
PostSubject: DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors   DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 5:05 pm

Doing 7 leds for my fluval edge. I will not fail this time!
Back to top Go down
schudini

schudini

PostSubject: Re: DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors   DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 6:35 pm

Are you running a fan?
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors   DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 6:38 pm

I will be. I attempted to do custom LEDs on the fluval edge to keep the lighting confined to the small hood, sadly it was a 150 dollar fail.

But I still have the heatsink which has several hours of work into it, and the fan and adapter so all I did was re-order the LEDs and buy some more thermal compound. I was hoping they would have shipped already but I haven't received an email yet.
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors   DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 12:19 am

Wishing you better luck than last time! cheers
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors   DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 12:31 am

Sam_G wrote:
Wishing you better luck than last time! cheers

Hopefully I cut out the luck factor with the BJB connectors! Just have to drill some holes and I'll be good to go!

Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors   DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 12:32 am

JUST GOT MY SHIPPING CONFORMATION! LEDs will be in Thursday or Friday!!!
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors   DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 7:53 am

Whoop! bouncy
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors   DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 10:05 am

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
schudini

schudini

PostSubject: Re: DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors   DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 11:09 am

I've done LED's before. Ask questions if you like.
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors   DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 11:44 am

I ended up ruining my connection points (not the steadiest hands), so this time I bought the solderless connectors and it should be a piece of cake! If I do have questions I'll be sure to ask!
Back to top Go down
schudini

schudini

PostSubject: Re: DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors   DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 6:25 pm

Nicholas41 wrote:
I ended up ruining my connection points (not the steadiest hands), so this time I bought the solderless connectors and it should be a piece of cake! If I do have questions I'll be sure to ask!

So, that was the only thing that happened with the old LED's, bad soldering?

That can be fixed as long as they were not fried by overvoltage/current or overheating.
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors   DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 6:52 pm

They're long gone, and by bad soldering I mean toasty to non existent connections.
Back to top Go down
schudini

schudini

PostSubject: Re: DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors   DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 9:52 am

Nicholas41 wrote:
They're long gone, and by bad soldering I mean toasty to non existent connections.

Ouch. Well, if you like, I can show you how it's done (proper tools make all the difference).

I'm on campus every weekday.
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors   DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 8:19 pm

I might have to take you up on that in the future! We could use a new solder iron, but I'm only doing two connections so all should be well Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors   DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 8:02 pm

I really might have to take you up on that Josh. The BJB connectors didn't work. 20 gauge wire fit fine, but when it came down to the power supply cords they were 14 gauge. So I drilled the opening bigger on the connectors and got them running for a few. Then lost connection. Time for soldering I guess.
Back to top Go down
schudini

schudini

PostSubject: Re: DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors   DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 8:49 pm

Um, were the LED's on a heatsink while running? I hope they didn't get too hot.
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors   DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 10:40 pm

They only ran for about a minute, and they were on the heatsink.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors   DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors Empty

Back to top Go down

DIY LEDs with BJB SOLDERLESS connectors
Page 1 of 1