Aquarists at USF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum for the Aquarist Club at USF - A Community for Fishy People <')))){

PortalPortal  HomeHome  About UsAbout Us  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Register  Log in  

Small predator tank

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

Small predator tank Empty
PostSubject: Small predator tank   Small predator tank EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 12:27 pm

What would you need to run a coral-less predator tank, lets say 50ish gallons.
Back to top Go down
mangoman

mangoman

PostSubject: Re: Small predator tank   Small predator tank EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 1:04 pm

hmm i would say an Aqua-clear 110 or a Pengquin double sided filter.. something large but it wouldn't have to be more than just HOB. No protein skimmer either..
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: Small predator tank   Small predator tank EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 1:06 pm

No sump or refugium?

Would a canister be ample?
Back to top Go down
mangoman

mangoman

PostSubject: Re: Small predator tank   Small predator tank EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 1:43 pm

i think a canister would be fine.. yes a refugium or sump would be good but no nessecary..
Back to top Go down
schudini

schudini

PostSubject: Re: Small predator tank   Small predator tank EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 1:48 pm

That really depends on what you are going to keep.

A messy eater requires more filtration.

Also, would this "50ish" gallon tank have freshwater in it currently?
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: Small predator tank   Small predator tank EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 2:39 pm

Yes it does currently house freshwater fish Smile

This would be a consideration in the upcoming month. I am just not feeling the same about freshwater as I used to.
Back to top Go down
mangoman

mangoman

PostSubject: Re: Small predator tank   Small predator tank EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 4:02 pm

You could convert your freshwater into a largemouth bass tank Smile

I used to have a 20g that I had two 4" bass in. They stayed that size for over a year.. Just caught them out of a random pond.. fed them live minnows. THAT was the fun part!! fish hook
Back to top Go down
schudini

schudini

PostSubject: Re: Small predator tank   Small predator tank EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 4:27 pm

Nicholas41 wrote:
I am just not feeling the same about freshwater as I used to.

Aarghh, ye be havin' the saltwater o'er ye veins now lad. Small predator tank Captainpirate
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: Small predator tank   Small predator tank EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 5:17 pm

schudini wrote:
Aarghh, ye be havin' the saltwater o'er ye veins now lad. Small predator tank Captainpirate

Pretty much! My money doesn't seem to care for the saltwater though!

I was thinking a toby puffer as the show piece??? study ?

Small predator tank P-39853-puffer
Back to top Go down
mangoman

mangoman

PostSubject: Re: Small predator tank   Small predator tank EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 6:41 pm

beatufiul puffer!!
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: Small predator tank   Small predator tank EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 6:43 pm

I thought so! The tank is in my room and I thought he would look stunning under LEDs! I'd consider a dwarf lionfish with him, but i'd never want to stick my hand in the tank lol
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Small predator tank   Small predator tank EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 12:17 am

+1 Josh. Filtration requirements are going to depend on the bioload and what you are going to keep.

Nice puffer! If you are thinking puffers and lionfish (not triggers, sharks, etc.) I think a canister filter would be fine. I've never done a predator tank (or fish-only sw tank for that matter), though...
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: Small predator tank   Small predator tank EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 12:46 am

I think the XP on it would do fine, and I might throw a skimmer on it (that's why I was considering the one on RC, put it on my reef, and the seaclone/microbubble skimmer on my possible predator tank)

The puffer is great looking, and I was considering a dwarf lionfish with one, but the honestly scare me... I wouldn't want my hand in there. Is it common to get hit by their spines?

And I thought maybe a few macros in there for a "possible" lionfish to enjoy (and act as part refugium?)

Or possibly a toby puffer and a dwarf angel, maybe some nice size green chromis to school around the tank?
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Small predator tank   Small predator tank EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 7:58 am

All of the ideas sound great. Unfortunately, I know nothing about lionfish. Someone else will have to chime in. Neutral
Back to top Go down
mangoman

mangoman

PostSubject: Re: Small predator tank   Small predator tank EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 8:38 am

+1 on the puffer and angel idea. Smile

my chromis got eaten by my puffer though.. might want to try jawfish or something else interesting (theyre $14 each at ccritters Wink )

maybe a green wolf eel? Those are really cool.. used to have one..
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: Small predator tank   Small predator tank EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 10:11 am

I thought about the wolf eel, maybe but that's along the lines of the lionfish for me lol. Not convinced I want me hand in there.
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Small predator tank   Small predator tank EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 10:18 am

Eels = creepy
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: Small predator tank   Small predator tank EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 10:42 am

Sam_G wrote:
Eels = creepy

Cool but creepy, so agree. lol
Back to top Go down
schudini

schudini

PostSubject: Re: Small predator tank   Small predator tank EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 6:15 pm

Is this going to be bare bottom, or have sand?

One idea, since it is freshwater now anyway, is to start with a brackish fish, then slowly go salt. I have always thought that the dragon goby looked awesome, and would be a sweet addition to a saltwater tank.

And according to liveaquaria, 50 gallon is the perfect size for them.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=954+2526&pcatid=2526

Small predator tank Lg-26133-Prehistoric-Dragon
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: Small predator tank   Small predator tank EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 6:48 pm

As tempting as that is I am just going to leave the tank as is for now.
Back to top Go down
mangoman

mangoman

PostSubject: Re: Small predator tank   Small predator tank EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 12:37 pm

Nicholas41 wrote:
I thought about the wolf eel, maybe but that's along the lines of the lionfish for me lol. Not convinced I want me hand in there.

Nahhh these guys are great! Used to let her feed out of my hand all the time! Only got bit once and that was my own stupidty. feels like a lizard bite.. actually they don't really have many teeth so its just kinda like clamp. No marks left or anything. My vlamingii actually will leave marks if I let hhim bite me! shark chase

Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: Small predator tank   Small predator tank EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 8:22 pm

I may consider that then. Or I may just leave the tank how it is. I'd like to move out by the summer, so if you think about it...

Setup in late december (janurary), cycled around feb., get the first fish feb/march. move out 3 months later? lol Not sure if its worth the time and money, but I'll still consider it.
Back to top Go down
mangoman

mangoman

PostSubject: Re: Small predator tank   Small predator tank EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 9:18 pm

even if you set up in december or january I'm sure between me, you and samantha if we all did a water change we'd have enough "pre-cycled" water to fill your tank Smile

but yes, that's not a lot of time before you move.. do you plan on getting an apartment? Lotta apartments won't allow aquariums.. might want to check that lol
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: Small predator tank   Small predator tank EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 11:52 pm

Probably a condo or townhome. That would be taken into consideration before moving. For all I know I may move this summer, or possibly the following. Knowing me I'll probably do the tank lol
Back to top Go down
Gimplar

Gimplar

PostSubject: Re: Small predator tank   Small predator tank EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 11:37 pm

I know you plan on keeping the tank as a fresh water, but if you get an eel, just dont train it to eat hot dogs >_<

skip to about 3:15/3:20ish to see the action Smile, def. watch to the end after that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHNpYxCSnUM

As far as a 50gal as a predator tank, you'll be limited to smaller predators and i'd recommend against getting any groupers, triggers, or puffers (with the exception of a few). The toby would be a good choice as well as a smaller lionfish such as a fuzzy dwarf or a sphex (if you can find one).

As always, do the research, plan appropriately, and practice good fish keeping ethics.

Besides that, dwarf golden morays would be a sweet eel to have. much prettier then wolf eels imo.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Small predator tank   Small predator tank Empty

Back to top Go down

Small predator tank
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next