A Forum for the Aquarist Club at USF - A Community for Fishy People <')))){

PortalPortal  HomeHome  About UsAbout Us  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  Register  Log in  

Share | 

DIY Eggcrate Aquarium Cover

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sam_G
Admin

PostSubject: DIY Eggcrate Aquarium Cover   Wed May 18, 2011 5:56 pm

Many tanks comes with standard tops or glass tops. However, if your aquarium doesn't already have a cover (or if you'd like to switch to a new type of tank top), here's a simple DIY project for you.

I had a glass cover on my aquarium for a while. It worked fine except that in the summer, the glass top trapped all of the heat inside my aquarium, making it too hot for my livestock. An eggcrate top is a simple solution. Since eggcrate has holes, it keeps the tank cool, yet the holes are small enough to keep most jumpers inside the aquarium. Eggcrate also allows for better gas exchange between the water in your aquarium and the air; this helps maintain appropriate levels of dissolved oxygen in your aquarium and keep pH more constant.

Materials:

1. Piece of Eggcrate - this can be found at such places as Home Depot, Lowe's, ACE, or online. Ask for light diffuser used in ceiling and lighting installation, and someone should be able to point you in the right direction.

2. Pair of Cutters - You'll need these to cut the eggcrate to dimensions that fit your aquarium, as well as for cutting out slots for any equipment that you might be running on the tank (e.g. HOB filters, overflows, etc.).

Pics:

Founder and Former President of the Aquarist Club at USF

100 Gallon Mixed Reef Aquarium

47 Gallon Macroalgae DT
Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1